Where to put the Antenna 2

Motorhome/Caravan CB Radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

baloothebear
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
CB Handle: Bonzo

Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 am

Has anyone tried mounting an Antenna on a rear mounted ladder on a Motorhome?
I can't use a door mount as there is too much of an "overhang" from the MH body over the doors
The body is made of fibre glass so a mag mount is out
I had thought of getting a sheet o of galvanised steel sheet and fixinf it with Sikaflex on the roof.
"If you eliminate smoking and gambling, you will be amazed to find that almost all an Englishman's pleasures can be, and mostly are, shared by his dog."

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 am

if there is a ladder is there rails on top if so a mirror mount will do fine wit a short antenna if not then a 360 degree mirror mount on the ladder at the top will work ok

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Sun May 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Baloothebear,

Had exactly the same problem, tried various set-ups, ended up settling on this....

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/forum/view ... =24&t=1021
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...

baloothebear
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun May 22, 2011 7:34 pm

I rather thought that is what I might have to do. I had to Sikaflex a piece of sheet galvanised onto the roof my old Talbot
"If you eliminate smoking and gambling, you will be amazed to find that almost all an Englishman's pleasures can be, and mostly are, shared by his dog."

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Sun May 22, 2011 7:52 pm

It works well.

I've replaced the antenna with a 'Trucker' stainless steel twig, and used a splitter so that it acts as an antenna for the radio when parked up (far better than the windscreen aeriel that came with the van)

It also serves a third purpose as a 'twanger' (technical term!) If I hear the antenna catch on low branches, I can slow right up before it gets near the sat dish...

Only wish there was more campers using CB's. Other than when travelling with friends, I've rarely seen it used....
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...

baloothebear
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun May 22, 2011 8:27 pm

We have always used it when we are in France and have right larf with the truckers :D