Use of 'Electronic ground plane' on motorhome

Motorhome/Caravan CB Radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:23 am

Hello again Gordon!!

That's a difficult one mate! i reckon you would be straight on to a loser if you try to use the mag-mount on the caravan body!!

If it HAS to be attached to the caravan, then I would suggest placing the mag-mount onto the A-frame, by the jockey wheel. It's not ideal, you won't have much in the way of height, but at least it's a good, steel structure of the mag to 'mount' to!!

Good luck!!

Paul (2H3CK)
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:02 pm

Hi G,
Its sounds to me like the car next to the caravan may be the best bet. With the caravan being of fibreglass construction there probably won't be enough groundplane from any of the metalwork which is essential to achieve an acceptable VSWR.

Hope this helps....P
All the best.....73....P

Round Baler
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:45 pm

Hi guys... I thought it would be best to place the car next to the caravan!

I hope that some people on the camp site have CB's as this would mate it much more fun!

Thanks for the help!

- Gordon
Round Baler

"We Cut The Crops That Feed The World"

charlie oscar
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:51 pm

when your towing the car use that for your antener mount, i think a serio hi power 4000 would do the job. just run a longer coax in to the camper.

SandMan
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:35 pm

The mirror is possibly not giving a good earthing point, is may be separated by rubber seals to stop the water getting into the doors. Try and earthing wire first to see if that improves it. If not, I used to use the Modulator type aerials back in the days (similar to the Bullwhips), and found nothing to beat them at the time. I know there are some similar types that Thunderpole do... large 12" tall bases with approx 5ft whips on top. Maybe see if you can borrow one (phone a friend) to see if there's a difference. I've had a few Firestiks/Hotstiks etc etc in the past, and apart from a huge 7ft beastie, I didn't find one that was great..and that one was too big to go on a car as it would have torn my roof off going round corners lol!

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:51 pm

try on the towing hitch as its connected to the chassis perfect ground plane

:D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

nitro
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun May 06, 2007 1:21 am

andy@thunderpole.co.uk wrote:Hi Matt,

The best thing is to try the wire first and see how you get on...

Andy :wink:
:roll:
:twisted: I know this is an old post, but I couldn’t let this one go without comment! :lol: :wink:

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Sat May 26, 2007 9:14 pm

Just an update folks!

ended up getting a piece of 16 guage sheet steel, cut to 2' by 6'. I welded a bolt to the end, to attach an earth strap direct to the chassis.

I also welded a 'sirio' mount directly in the centre, and sealed all of the joints with 'sikaflex' finally, I spraypainted the whole thing glossy white, and bonded to the roof of the motorhome.

Fitted a Firestik II mast on a spring-mount, and ran 'domestic-type' earthing wire directly to the chassis.

Works a treat now! SWR is down to 1:1.2 across the range, and I'm getting out fantastically well! The aeriel is very high, which means I catch the occassional branch, but it only protrudes about 1' above the folded satallite dish, and bends no problem on the spring!

Problem solved!! Took 2 days, but also allowed me to mount the vehicle registration in large letters on the roof while I was up there, so it was worth the extra hastle!![/img]
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:41 am

My pics!! (if I can get this to work!)

You can just make out my old Sirio 827 mast on the garage, after the house fire! Stolen 2 days later! :cry: :cry:

My 'home made' groundplane! 4'x2' 16 guage sheet steel, painted, earthed to the chassis, and a Sirio mount welded to the centre. Cable and mount sealed with 'Sikaflex' and a Firestik aeriel (now) fitted.

My 'towcar' CB set-up, a Cobra ST75 and magmount with an 'Orbitor' aeriel.
My folding 'A-frame' which unclips and folds into the boot.

My 'brakebuddy'. This is a piece of kit from America which applies the brakes on the car whenever I brake in the rig! It's actually an airbrake system. My Ford Ka must be one of the smallest vehicles on UK roads to have airbrakes!

Another pic of my set-up from the back. When I'm towing, I leave the CB on muppets UK19FM, and when we unhook the car, the wife and I use UK25FM.

Callsign 'Turtle', give me a bell if you see me holidaying in the UK!

[/img]

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:29 pm

GUESS from the first pic you started welding in the garage but nice photos dont you just love it when a plan comes together

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:30 pm

Some more pictures of my install..........

Midland 48plus (took out the 'multi', as I like easy to acces buttons while I'm driving!)

CB sits well below the driver, so I've fitted an external speaker above the drivers head, but it's completely hidden, so no point in trying to take a pic!!

Cobra ST75 in the towcar. I've rotated the 'eyeball vent' through 90, cut a notch into it to act as a mic holder.
Now you see it.......

Now you don't!!!!! 'Stealth' install......... 8)
CB stows in the glovebox. Completely invisible!! 8)

'Orbitor' aeriel on a magmount, stows in the boot. Cable is fed through the headlining and again, completely hidden. 8)

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:35 pm

LOL!!

welding was indeed done in the garage, but that wasn't what killed my house!

(it was a dodgy woodburning stove, but that's a different, and still legally ongoing, story!!!)

It's interesting when we tour the country, how much CB varies depending on where you are. Rural is great, it is used 'properly', and you can have a good 'crack'. Cities tend to be filled with dead-keyers and wannabe DJ's.... a real shame....

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:04 pm

you are not having a lot of luck are you looks like someones pinched your steering wheel or is it an anti theft device and you use a spanner to steer it

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:58 pm

I steer it with my teeth!!

I fitted a 'snap off' steering wheel, partly for security, and partly to allow me to swivel the driver's seat around fully.

Ive kept the original steering wheel though!
8)
The van is left-hand drive, which means that when we are on the motorway my wife can sit in the passenger seat (on the right hand side) and wave the oroginal wheel at passing vehicles with a panic stricken look on her face :lol:

That usually gets a reaction, and keeps her entertained!!! :lol: :lol:

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:35 pm

tow bar at front or gas bottle

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D