CB on a boat

Motorhome/Caravan CB Radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Maurice_Mynah
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Pommie

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:16 am

Ok, not a caravan but a boat on the Norfolk Broads.
Are there any members near the Norfolk broads who could help be set up a rig on my boat please?
Beer would be provided :)

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:22 am

EASY enough to do what type of boat first please

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Maurice_Mynah
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03 am

The boat is an Elysian Bounty 27, With luck I've attached a picture of the boat.
With a bit of luck there will be someone on the forum who knows the broads and understands the problem with Potter Heigham bridge. Very little clearance so the antenna needs to be "droppable" quickly and easily.
I have "Modulator" available, but can buy another aerial if needs be.
This is a youtube clip of an identical boat trying to get under that bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41k42YfTsXM
if the link works.
It shows just how tight things are there! I usually use the bridge pilot to get me through.
Attachments
Bounty 27  Nyx.jpg
Bounty 27 Nyx.jpg (284.18 KiB) Viewed 3082 times

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm

YOU could try a mirror mount on the deck rail first of all as the easiest way to set one up and to prove it would work then refine it if it proves that it as enough ground plane to make it workable

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 am

The old DV27 types had a wing nut loosner at the bottom for quick lowering , The aluminium window frame might produce enough groundplane to tune the antenna .

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:03 am

The old Halfbreed types are very flexable and may not need lowering .

Maurice_Mynah
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:46 am

If the aerial is mounted on the cabin top grab rails, it would need to be folded down for the bridges. and I would not be able to reach it from the cockpit. I am usually alone on my boat, so anything that needs taking down to go under a bridge, has to be able to be done from within the cockpit. Attaching it to the alloy window frames is a non starter too. Any sort of knock would start them leaking. Not good!
There are sufficient low bridges to make folding down necessary, often enough to be the major issue.
I have a counterpoise (I seem to remember it being called that) available, so we can add that to the equation.
I also have a Midland "groundplaneless" aerial, but I'm told that unless they're high up, they are next to useless!

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:18 pm

mirror mount on the rail with either a mini orbiter or a longer one with string tied to the top so you can pull it down for low bridges

Maurice_Mynah
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:35 am

Often, the distance from the grabrail to the bridge structure will be 2" rarely less, and when I'm going through, there won't be time or opportunity to "pull the string".
No, what I am looking for is a collapsible antenna system that can be reached from the cockpit, and collapsed when I do the windscreen, which I do whilst under way a few minutes before I reach the bridge.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:19 pm

it can be done but needs hands on to do it would take an epistle like war and peace to explain it

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Sun May 11, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Maurice_Mynah Personally i would go for the following mirror mount http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/mirror-bar ... t-kit.html & for £20 you cant go wrong as it will come with everything you need buddy as i had a good look at the image of the boat above & watched the video & my conclusion is if you have a bar rail at the rear of your boat i would attach the mount on to that rail as the rail is low down & will only be the top of the whip what will hit the bridge & good luck with what ever you choose mate :wink:

Maurice_Mynah
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu May 15, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks for that info Wildfire, sadly there's no rail at the stern.
What I'm looking at now is the counterpoise mounted on a modified curtain pole holder set on the side of the cockpit just behind the port navigation lamp (the lamp just above the name "Nyx" on the photo). The aerial will be my modulator, that should be good enough, or I can use a fibreglass whip I have.
The disadvantages of the fibreglass whip is the weight and leverage being imposed on the mounting point. but the advantage is that it's longer and can be fitted to a device I have for "folding" the aerial down. This device will not work with the modulator which would have to be unscrewed each time.
So far this seems to be the best option, but I still hope to find a better way!

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu May 15, 2014 11:51 am

THERE is a mirror mount that our suppliers do that has the capeabilty of folding down part number MT15016 WHITCH WITH A BIT OF SIDEWAYS THINKING would sort your problem

Maurice_Mynah
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Fri May 16, 2014 8:11 am

Thanks Stampman, can you give me any further details of MT15016 please?

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri May 16, 2014 9:27 am

talk to colin and quote the number and he should be able to sort you out