Motorhome stop-over in France

Motorhome/Caravan CB Radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

vanessa
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:19 pm

We are just setting-up a small (initially maximum of 3 spaces, eventually expanding to no more than 10) stop-over point for motorhomes in France, and would value some feedback from motorhome owners.

The initial idea was to provide a "half-way from the channel to the south coast" stop-over, on a one-night-at-a-time basis, but we have since decided to allow longer stays as well. We are situated in the Correze, just 5 miles from the A20 (toll-free) motorway, yet in a very tranquil spot with virtually no traffic (just other people who live in our road of less than a dozen well-spaced-out houses).

We are planning to provide toilet-emptying facilities, along with toilet and washing facilities, a drinking water tap and power points. Evening meals will be available, all home-cooked (and much home-grown, too) to high standards; we are hoping to get a licence and so would have a small bar on the premises. Breakfasts can also be provided; full English or continental being available.

Two key questions spring to mind, one for now, one for later possible expansion. Firstly, anything we have not thought of for the initial set-up? Secondly, are there any motorhome owners who travel through/in France who are in need of disabled toilet and/or shower facilities?

Many thanks in advance ... and if anyone is interested in staying over, do please PM me!

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:24 pm

Haven't yet ventured 'across the water' yet, but would certainly be interested should I get the chance.

Some sites do not allow towcars next to motorhomes (although they are effectively exactly the same as a car/caravan combo) where do you stand on this?

With regard to 'motorhome waste', do you have a 'driveover' type pit where it's possible to just drop down a hose to flush the tanks?

I know we're not supposed to advertise other websites (sorry Andy!) but why not check out http://www.************.com they have forums for campers planning to tour France.

Best of luck with your new venture, sorry for my delay in replying!! 8)
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...

Gonewiththewind
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
CB Handle: Gone with the wind

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:29 am

My only thought would be cost. As you know Aires are free. I spent 2 weeks touring France in 2008, Aires only, cost free. One week in Spain At 25 euroes per night. Where do you think I will be spending more time this year.

Don
On the road again.
Gone with the wind.

vanessa
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks for the feedback. Despite having had moderate success with our stop-over, we are now selling-up and moving on.

Gonewiththewind
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
CB Handle: Gone with the wind

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Sorry, should start looking at post dates #-o

Don
On the road again.
Gone with the wind.