My set up. My pride and joy!

A place for pics, either of your setup, your vehicle, yourself or anything else!

Moderator: stampman

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:47 pm

8) 8) 8) This is my rig, my pride and joy 8) 8) 8)

My home-made 'groundplane' 4x2' sheet steel, grounded to earth, mount welded to steel and the whole lot 'sikaflexed' onto the roof :wink: :wink:

The camper and towcar, ready to go (This pic is pre 'roof mod'. I tried having an ERF-style wing-mirror mount,as you can see, but the roof mount is MUCH better):lol: :lol:

My 'cab', CB is mounted in the middle, a Midland 48 plus. Steering wheel unclips to make more space to 'swivel' the seats into a 'mini lounge' 8) 8)

The car, CB is a 'Cobra ST75, which I can unhook and hide under the dash. A mag-mount and Orbitor are hidden in the boot, and the coax is hidden in the cars headlining. Simple case of opening the boot, lift out the magmount and slap it on the roof! 8) 8)

Collapsable 'A' frame stows in the boot when not in use...... :o :o :o

Portable 'airbrake' system, operates the brakes on the car when I brake in the van..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Up in the highlands somewhere. Ive fitted a rear camera and have a dash mounted screen to keep an eye on the towing, and the CB is handy if the wife wants to take the car, and head a few miles in front to find a campsite.... 8)

And that's it folks! Ive also got a 'handheld' eurosonic which I keep in a locker, in case anyone joins us and wants to keep in touch where there is no mobile phone signal. I've spent the last 18 months setting it all up for a 12 month tour of Europe, including fitting a generator, solar panel, 2 boat-batteries, Sky TV, LPG gas tank (instead of 'calor' bottles) and many other modifications....

Unfortunately, I received a job offer I couldn't refuse, so the trip has been put 'on hold' indefinitely......... :(

If you're up in the highlands, listen out for 'Turtle' on 19UKFM. I still get the odd weekend off so I'm still 'out and about'...
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:58 am

very very nice set up i am jealous and a good place to live as well

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

Round Baler
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:23 pm

Thanks for sharing your pics good buddy!

- Gordon
Round Baler

"We Cut The Crops That Feed The World"

clives1947
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:04 pm

stampman wrote:very very nice set up i am jealous and a good place to live as well

:D :D : :D :D :D :D :D
:mrgreen: classic "dragon fly DEVON.
intend to install an a099 plus ground plne kit and a magnum s9+midland98,handle is dragon fly/lima whiskey462.

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Guzzy

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:48 am

That is an absolutely awesome 'mobile' set up you have there. A very good example of what CB radio was meant for. :D

The towed car is just ... impressive! :lol:

Out of interest, why do you have your motor-home registration number printed on the roof? :?

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:34 pm

for when its stolen easy to read from his own satellite or he knows somebody in the cia

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:51 pm

Nice guess....

The reason I put the numbers on the roof is because if my motorhome was stolen, it would invarably end up travelling on motorways with 'flyover cameras' and eventually on a ferry to Europe, That's where 90% of stolen motorhomes end up going.

My thinking is, 'Tea-leaves' aren't going to think of checking on the roof for a registration mark, and if the van's parked on a ferry-deck, it's possible someone would notice that the 'new' number plates don't match the old ones. Failing that, a dealer would notice if someone tried to 'trade it in' on dodgy plates.....

Call me paranoid, but the overwhelming number of stolen motorhomes are never recovered, and for £2.50 I'll give it a go!

simonthewizard
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:40 am

All i can say is awesome, beautiful indeed! And even nicer sat somewhere on a hill

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Cheers Simon.
Changed things a bit since the photos, The camper now sports a Thunderpole Supernova, which seems to get out that bit further and still is plenty flexable for those troublesome low branches,and fitted a RM 35 watt amp.

The Ford Ka now has a set of roof bars for mounting a roof box (extra space) and I've run permanant coax to a mount on the roof bar (grounded and hidden) and a quick release connector on a chrome Thunderpole Orbitor. It is a lot more convienient and looks a lot tidier than the magmount did.

Think I've finally tweaked the set-up to within an inch of it's life (although I would like a President Jackson II for the camper!)

:D

joe jeep
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Joe-Jeep

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Absolutely fantastic looking set up, neat and tidy looking. I'm very jealous. How did to keep the mic on the cobra up, it is poked into the grill vent??
Handle:Joe-Jeep
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Joe Jeep!

I flipped the vent to the 'closed' position, and cut a small 'V' insert using a Dremmel. This effectively made it a 'mic clip' when closed, and not visible when open. Worked a treat!!

Unfortunately, my little Ford Ka suffered an untimely death in July last year. The tow bracket pin sheared and caused part of the A frame to come free. I felt it uncouple whilst I was driving on the A62, and had no choice but to 'pit' the car into the ditch, off the road. Very minor scratch to the camper (repaired) but the car was a write off!

Insurance company for the car refused to pay out, claiming that the car was a trailer, and the motorhome insurance refused to pay out, saying that it was still classed as a car! Thankfully it was only worth a few hundred quid, and I've been able to strip it for parts, ready for the next one (with stronger locking pins this time, and I'll change them every season!) Lesson learned! Don't just service the 'oily bits', but make sure the pins aint corroded!!