Bit of nostalgia

A place to share memories, pictures, and funny stories!

Moderator: stampman

ken_smith
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:57 pm

So after a spell of 20+ years without a CB in my car, I succumbed to putting one in, mostly for green road runs. Its certainly changed since the old days, so very quiet except lots of Russian Taxi firms, but they done seem to want my business. So I have registered on a few CB/Ham radio forums etc. to catch up on radio gear development etc and someone posted the link below which too me back a bit. Some here may feel the same pang of nostalgia as I did, and it reminded me of the tale below.

First the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz3RPGAR ... e=youtu.be

This takes me back and reminds of when I was nearly "busted" for having an AM rig in my car.
I am originally from Dundee, and for those of you here that know the town you will have heard of the Law Hill, for those that don't know it, Google is your friend.
Back in my younger days it was the place to hang out in your car, most of us having a rig of one form or another, AM or FM, or some like me having both in the car. It was also when our old friend Busby was determined to crack down on the AM users, and why not, FM was legal and licensed so the government where losing money by allowing AM rigs to still be used.

Our local Busby office employed a person of similar age to ourselves (early 20’s) gave him a standard issue yellow Leyland van, no markings, fully equipped with an AM receiver and some other gear and one of those telescopic aerials that was disguised like a normal car radio aerial so as to blend in and no one would know who he was. So he became a familiar sight on the Law Hill, trying his best look inconspicuous, not easy in what was obviously a yellow Busby van. He was needless to say sussed on his first appearance. Since his cover was blown he became quite friendly and chatty (we also had him pinned in by parking our cars around him so he couldn’t do a runner, not sure why now) and said he was “only doing his job” his remit was to simply to note car registration numbers and pass them on if he suspected someone of having an AM rig. Anyway one particularly nice summer’s night we were all sat there, around 10 or 12 of us and he was in his van when someone on an AM rig started chatting away, he nearly wet himself as the signal was so strong it had to be close by, his adrenalin levels must have been off the scale as he tried to pin point where the signal was coming from. Well it was close by, I happened to recognise the voice, the voice of the person in my car sat right beside him!

To this day I still don’t know how he never put two and two together or maybe he did but just didn’t do anything. Needless to say I beat a hasty retreat that evening, to return 10 mins later minus the AM rig in my car.

Do I miss those days? Damn right I do!!!

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:21 pm

hi and welcome nice tale of the old days

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

ken_smith
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 pm

:) cheers