Newbie from Surrey

A place for new members to say hello

Moderator: stampman

Dogfish
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:28 am

Hi all.
I am based in sunny Surrey and am new to the "new" legal CB FM scene.
Looking through the forums and website things have certainly changed since the early 80's when I had an AM rig and it was a buzzing scene until I got busted and had to go to customs house where they thought they would try to intimidate me with wireless and telegraphy act stuff so that I'd squeal and give the source of rigs in my group. Some chance of that!

So now I'm looking to get a new rig with as much functionality as possible. The president grant with am/fm and usb lsb looks quite nice. (Put one aside for me!). I don't fancy an ebay rig although there are some nice bits of kit out there. Will likely use ebay for the base station rig etc...
As I said it's been years since I was on AM and twig technology has obviously come on a bit since then. I would want a twig that gets me out as far as possible and pulls the signal in equally well. It's going to be either mag mounted or body mounted to my Merc coupe. It has a full glass roof so the mount will have to be on the back of the car which I beleive is not ideal as the radiation pattern will be odd. Hey ho. Thats why I want a good twig and sound advice on setting myself up. :)

I am off to France in June and hope to be up and running with something thats compatible with their laws, rules and regs etc before then. I am silly busy for the next two weeks but reckon I can get up to the shop on Saturday the 29th for a mosey round and possibly pick up some kit then.
What are the calling channells these days? Any advice on etiquette would be great as well, Don't want to jump in and annoy anyone unnesaccarily.
Finally, I saw there was a group in Surrey area, can you shed any light on it?

Thats it for now.
Dogfish signing off. :D

blueovalcraig
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Blueoval

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi and welcome
Call Sign: 108CT167 Handle: Blueoval
it's better to be pee'd off than pee'd on!
1999 Land Rover Discovery ES TD5
Thunderpole T2000
www.scotgrc.co.uk
www.thed2boysclub.co.uk
1993 Rover Mini Cooper (ongoing rebuild)
Kernow Beta4100

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

Andy :wink:

Dogfish
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks Guys.
A quick question.
Will a magmount on the paintwork provide sufficient groundplane?
Thnx.

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Yes, mag mounts use something called capacitive coupling to create a connection to ground. So it doesn't matter if the surface is painted and there is no physical electrical connection.

Andy :wink:

Dogfish
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Fantastic, thanks Andy. Going to order tonight then.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am

hi and welcome to the forum

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Dogfish
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:15 am

Hi and thank you Stampman.

Very excited as I'm getting my twig delivered later this morning. YAY!!! A Thunderpole Super Nova and attaching it to my old Midland 77-095 which I want to replace with a President Grant on the website that has AM ans SSB....