New CB and antenna.

A place for new members to say hello

Moderator: stampman

TheRiddler
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Evening all,

I’ve not used a CB for well over 20years. I’m looking at purchasing a CB and a quality indoor antenna.

Would anyone rate the CRT 2000 CB Radio? If so what antenna would be best. I don’t want the hassle of an external antenna.

Any guidance and feedback would be most welcome.

Ps - I have a budget of £300

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the CRT 2000 as that is not a radio that we sell at Thunderpole.

However I would say, if you want the best performance then we would always advise to use an external antenna on a homebase set up, if you budget is £300 then you would be able to afford a very good antenna like the Sirio Gain Master... https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/base-cb-a ... aster.html

Andy :wink:

TheRiddler
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Thank you Andy.

I'm not sure whether to go for the 5/8 or 1/2, 7.36meters vs 3.41 meters.

I have two different positions on the house I could put them, photos attached.

Ideally I want the CB to be located in the garage. Photo one shows where I would put the antenna, I'm concnered its not the highest point on the house (1 story plus attic) and has trees nearby.

The other picture is the highest point on the house (2 stories plus attic), but not close to where I would want my CB, I could cable it through the attics if necessary. My wife also wouldn't allow for the taller aerial on this side of the house as it would be very much on show.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attachments
Photo2.jpg
Photo2.jpg (312.04 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Photo1.jpg
Photo1.jpg (701.89 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 am

To be honest putting up any base antenna on a house is usually a compromise. :)

Ideally you would put the largest antenna on the tallest point you can, but this is often not possible. So we would advise to choose the highest point possible with the biggest antenna you can get away with, even if it is the smaller one.

You would be better doing that, than installing a larger antenna lower down that has obstructions to the signal.

Andy :wink:

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:03 pm

How about a antron 99 antenna on a pole, or a wire antenna in the loft ?

TheRiddler
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:22 pm

Many thanks for the help.

Im going to go for the 1/2 wave on the highest point.

There is an old TV aerial on the pole, I assume that won't affect it?

Finally, is there a maximum length to use RG213-UBX coax cable? The antenna is going to be some distance from where the CB will be located in the garage?

Goose Berry
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:11 pm

My parents had a Thunderpole 2 on a pole mounted on our chimney, at one end of our home, with a thick outdoor coax running down the chimney, along the full length of the roof then down in to their bedroom window (Dad was more or less bed-ridden), round about 80-90 feet with excellent coverage.

10-10 :)