Hi from Pootz

A place for new members to say hello

Moderator: stampman

Pootz
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:17 am

Hi folks. My name is Andy but everyone calls me Pootz
I've not used a radio since the early 90's (1992 I think) and then it was only UK 40

I've recently been given a CRT SUPERSTAR 3900 which I believe is a clone of the Superstar 360???

However, since I've only ever used UK40 before I have no idea what I'm doing with it so need some help and advice please

I've managed to download a user manual but it still makes no sense as I'm the type of person who learns from watching and doing as opposed to reading so if there are any video tutorials about can you please point me in the right direction?
If I can't learn how to use it I'm afraid I'll have to exchange it for another 40 channel rig (or maybe 80 as I believe the euro 50 is easy to operate too)

Many Thanks
Pootz

swc7
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi Pootz,
I'm new here like you and i was also on the cb back in the day... late 70's through to the 90's.
Best way to find out what it can do is youtube it, search for crt6900 .
read this and modify it to open up the channels.
http://www.radioaficion.com/HamNews/rev ... tions.html

I am an electronic engineer and it was cb radio that got me into electronics so when i got mine i was like a kid in a sweet shop haha.
just search the net and im sure youll get into it again. Lots of info on the forums for each rig if you look far enough.
regards
stewart

Pootz
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:53 pm

swc7 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 pm
Hi Pootz,
I'm new here like you and i was also on the cb back in the day... late 70's through to the 90's.
Best way to find out what it can do is youtube it, search for crt6900 .
read this and modify it to open up the channels.
http://www.radioaficion.com/HamNews/rev ... tions.html

I am an electronic engineer and it was cb radio that got me into electronics so when i got mine i was like a kid in a sweet shop haha.
just search the net and im sure youll get into it again. Lots of info on the forums for each rig if you look far enough.
regards
stewart
Hi Stewart,
Cheers for the reply

Unfortunately learning to use things isn't as straight forward as I'd like it to be.
I have trouble with using the knobs etc due to arthritis in my hands and also have problems remembering things (short term memory loss) as I'm recovering from a stroke I had 8 months ago

I tried watching videos but either forgot everything by the following day or things didn't sink in to start with

I'll keep persevering with it though as I refuse to let it beat me

I just can't understand what the letters A - F are and how it all fits together...If that makes sense

swc7
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:42 pm

sorry to hear that pootz, i hope things improve with you and you have a bit fun on the cb again. The switches A to F are channel bands, usually 40 or 60 channels per band so 240 or 360 channels.

i have set band C to the old AM channels from the 80's ( which are now the CEPT frequencies for europe but are on FM not AM) and band D for the UK channels. the other bands i have programmed below Cept channels A,B and E,F programmed above the UK channels.

I have a print out of the frequencies and channels beside my rig so i know where i am transmitting. did you get a lead with it ? im sure someone closer to your area could maybe help with programming it for you. Im in Scotland and not many people on them up here now. Good rigs but they do have a few issues depending on the version of mainboard thats fitted.

Pootz
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 pm

swc7 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:42 pm
sorry to hear that pootz, i hope things improve with you and you have a bit fun on the cb again. The switches A to F are channel bands, usually 40 or 60 channels per band so 240 or 360 channels.

i have set band C to the old AM channels from the 80's ( which are now the CEPT frequencies for europe but are on FM not AM) and band D for the UK channels. the other bands i have programmed below Cept channels A,B and E,F programmed above the UK channels.

I have a print out of the frequencies and channels beside my rig so i know where i am transmitting. did you get a lead with it ? im sure someone closer to your area could maybe help with programming it for you. Im in Scotland and not many people on them up here now. Good rigs but they do have a few issues depending on the version of mainboard thats fitted.
Hi
Cheers

Unfortunately all I got was the rig and a Mic. I had no instructions but have since found a pdf instruction book, and no leads.

What do the leads do?

swc7
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:15 pm

hi, just noticed you said it was a 3900,,, that radio uses links / jumpers to modify the channels and not a lead to program it, moving the A,B,C,D,E,F, should change to different frequencies, if not it will need a "mod" done on it. google the s3900 or you tube is your best option, then save them in your bookmarks so you can refer back to them. let me know how you get on.
cheers
stewart

Pootz
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 pm

Cheers
Just looking at frequency counter for it which should make things a lot easier.
Hopefully picking one up tomorrow