Just taken a punt with 25 quid rig

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderators: FISH, stampman

Polaris
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Hello all

I had an AM Midland and HiGainV in the early 80's when I was a kid. Started with dv27 on biscuit tin and 12v car battery. Ended my time on CB with gp27 on my folks house and dabbled a bit with dx'ing before discovering drinking and smoking and females.
I was in an antique shop on Sunday and spotted a FM Maxcom 6e for 25 notes so the wife bought it for me!!! Tested on my lads car battery and it powers up.

I just ordered a power supply and Excalibur stubby home base antenna.

Will set it up over the next few days and keep you posted - if anyone's interested!!

For 50 sheets I should be breaking again - albeit 40 years after its heyday. Cheers Polaris

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:07 pm

cb is not as busy like it used to be. good luck with the cb :)

Polaris
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:14 pm

porky.69 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:07 pm
cb is not as busy like it used to be. good luck with the cb :)
Thanks porky.69. Will keep you posted.

Polaris
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Right.......not a good start...

Maxcom 6e on regulated 12v dc supply connected to excalibur base station ant. Mounted approx 10 feet from ground

2 problems:-
Every channel static only approx 7lbs per channel

Key Mike to tx and power needle goes left!! Tx light is red

Coax length is as specified

Comments and thoughts are welcomed

Cheers p o l a r I s

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:37 am

sounds like the set needs feckling at andys for a start

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Polaris
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Cheers Stampman. Not sure who Andy is but assume he's the Rig Doctor main man on this forum. Also sounds like more bucks to shell out/risk. Appreciate the advice though.

Anyone in Leeds/Wakefield area on UK FM, please get on 19 and ask for Polaris. I have the set on in my office constantly so will here a shout out for me. Alternatively, please suggest a channel to ratchet and allow me to radio check.

I am hearing zilch across 40 channels. A couple of distant voices now and again.

I fear CB 27/81 is a listeners hobby (although I do not know what they listen to!) Or a return to CB at even a base level is a non starter.

Risking being some saddo talking to myself and asking for a copy and/or radio check but I'm a patient chap and will keep trying. For now.

Not now but in the future, considering going mobile or investing in am/FM/ssb rig and big twig and try my luck there.

Maybe I'm expecting something that's not there anymore.

Rig looks good and retro in my office so all is not lost and the nosey neighbours haven't got a Scooby what the aerial on the house is for! .....21st century suburbia is puzzled.

Keep talking to me folks, I'm still plugging away.

P o l a r I S

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 am

ig the needle is going to the left then the radio is not transmitting so need repairing and yes andy is the chief on the forum here

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Polaris
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks for all your comments

Right, so I bought a superstar 3900 export mode and venom 1/2 wave

Had same problems as previously reported. By power of deduction I replaced cheap power supply and bingo, i can hear rx and tx !!!

But!!... whilst I get close signals on 33 fm and hear some sideband activity, I'm still experiencing static/interference issues

With antenna disconnected, am, usb and lsb are nothing but a hiss

Fm however is noisy with constant pitch static or maybe interference

With antenna in, I can silence all bands except fm by fully switching off rf gain

Fm is still noisy with rf gain right down

I've fitted ferrite on dc in and mains out

The old maxcom works on new psu and ant but mirrors the noise problem of the superstar

Should the fm be just a hiss when antenna removed? I fear it's something in the house/locale causing the problem

Any help is very much appreciated

Neil