Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:50 am

hi all.

I hope the following information will help everybody who is planning to have a home base set up,
plus some tricks how to prevent your antenna from getting damaged :)

for information about 1/2 1/4 5/8 waves then please check out the following link as i found it a easy way to explain the difference between the antenna waves :wink:

http://webpages.charter.net/dundergroun ... echAnt.htm

tips & tricks:

when the hi-gain 1/2 & the 5/8 was out they was very popular you also had a choice which type of antenna you would like & with these antennas been flimsy & are able to bend & snap in wind i would suggest adding a cane from a garden centre & adding it inside of one of these antennas it should make it more stable in wind if a cane is unsuitable then maybe trying non conductive guy wires (eg fishing line),

for the antron 99 & the i-max 2000 i would suggest adding some clips around the joints as these types of antenna perform very well but they are also very poor for wind as these types of antennas unscrew on windy days ::-()

& with the tall sigma antenna these also performed well but with them been 28ft tall & was easy to snap in wind the only thing i can recommend is that you use non conductive guy wires (eg fishing line) all the way up the antenna to support it.

even the best mobile antennas can work as good as a home base antenna specially when the antenna is in the loft or on a pole on the side of the house & the most important part is making sure that your SWR is below 1.5

joe jeep
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Joe-Jeep

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:24 am

Cheers for that, really useful info there, i'm setting up a homebase with the 9' tank whip on a 7" mag, attached to my garage door.
Handle:Joe-Jeep
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.

billathome65
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:35 am

Returning a dead link when I click on it?

Bill

jigbeff
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:02 pm

AS Abive but thanks for the tips, just ordered a 18ft..

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:51 pm

hi all,

a couple of new links i have found for you guys what i hope will give you all a better idea about the antennas http://www.shadowstorm.com/cb/CB_Myths_Exploded.html http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/verticals.html also if any body is buying a aluminum antenna always makes sure you add Bamboo canes inside them as these will prevent your antenna from bending & snapping in bad weather but even some 1/4 wave antennas work better than 5/8 antenna bcos of the way they are built & some like the Sirio top one what is only 12 feet in height & works extremely well on 10 & 11 meters & also works better than the Sirio 827

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi,these are all old posts...you will be better off posting your new stuff on channel 19... :D