Antron99 And Weather Interference

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Andy Nazel
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Hello Peeps,here's something that's been bugging me for a while now.I have an Antron 99 fitted with a ground plane kit and a Fire-up stick and just before it rains or as at the moment snows I get 9lb+ of static noise and it doesn't matter which radio I connect to it the static is still there until the rain/snow has stopped.SWR and continuity checks are ok so does anyone else have this problem or know any ways to stop it.

simon007
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: Simon007

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 am

Imax 2000 and also A99 with the fireup had exactly the same issues here. It is this static that also holds the key to why the Jackson II finals pop. I tried many things and could not make it change so changed antennas in the end. Same thing happened with a President Black Pirate and when changed to a Venom 1/2 lost it all and now running a Sirio Gain Master and also zero noise at all.

Have not any real solution, but had exactly the same with my antennas

73s Simon
Writer of Comms from Europe Radio User Magazine

Andy Nazel
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Hello Simon,thank you for answering my post :) .Sorry to hear you lost some good radios to this problem but that information explains why my Intek 550 eats o/p transistors like smarties!!(Its currently awaiting its third o/p!!)But thanks to your info I may now fix it again and sack the A99 and replace it with something else.Also,was talking to a local breaker who has a standard 99 and the same problem will have to ask him if he's lost any rigs yet.Thanks again and bye 4 now!!

simon007
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: Simon007

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 am

Hi Again and sorry could not tell you a perfect solution. But before a storm and during the s meter sometimes was over S9 and it well known that the Jackson II suffers failure in the outputs. I asked radio repair man and he told most of the broken ones used either Imax or A99.
So changed now and all seems better for it.
73s
Writer of Comms from Europe Radio User Magazine

Foxbat
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Sounds like static is building up in the antenna itself. The best way to get rid of it would be to put a 1 MOhm carbon resistor (don't use a wirewound resistor) between the radiating part of the antenna and the groundplane side. The resistor would be high enough value to not affect the impedance that the radio sees but will provide a path for the static to bleed to earth.
I use this method when kite lifting long bits of wire for lower ham bands (160M, 80M, 40M). You wouldn't believe the belt you can get off a 50M length of wire on a dry Summers day without a bleed resistor. :shock:

Andy Nazel
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Foxbat and thanks for that info will make a note of that for future reference.However I have taken delivery of and installed a Sirio Gainmaster!!So far I am getting good reports on signal and audio and lots of questions about my new installation.Have directed them all to our sponsors site(seems only fair).Do I get any brownie points if anyone else from Hull buys one from Thunderpole? :D

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 am

Definitely, thats worth at least 100 brownie points :mrgreen:

Hope you are getting good results from the Sirio, feel free to post a review on here when you've given it a good test...

Andy :wink:

rock steady
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
CB Handle: Rock Steady

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 pm

hi guys have you tried ramming a 4-5foot copper earthing rod in the ground and connecting the earth side of your aerial to the rod.. this acts as a static dump .I use a shakspeare ABS1600 which is a better build quality to A99 10m in the air .Also just had a thought, are you near a electric sub station , because if their output cables are breaking down and the fault only appears when more load is on the sub station transformer... be interesting to monitor the 240v ac supply coming in to your radio at the time of said interference