best homebase aerial

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

stanogs68
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:46 am

what is the best homebase aerial out there, i want one thats fairly pricedand one thats easiest to fit,i dont really want to have to erect 20 feet scaflod poles and all that on the roof.i live on one of the highest places in cheshire and are not obstructed by any thing really,i want something thats cheap and easy to sort if there is anything out there,i have a cobra cb .thanks :|

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Guzzy

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:15 pm

If you suffer from severe weather (very high winds and severe rain storms), you might want to look at something like the Thunderpole 5 (£67.50) or the Antron A99 (£69.99) or the Sirio Gain Master (£129.99). These are all fibreglass encased antenna's and will stand up to severe weather over a good few years.

If severe weather isn't so much an issue, then a simple aluminium antenna is just as good as a fibreglass encased antenna. Most people use these.

Something like the Thunderpole 1/2 Wave high Gain (£24.99) or the Thunderpole 5/8 Wave High Gain (£26.99)

If you want the best performance, look at the Sigma Mantova Turbo (£139.99) or the Sirio Gain Master (£129.99).

In all honesty, the simple 5/8 wave for about £30 is hard to beat, and even if you have to repair/replace it once or twice over a few years, it will still be cheaper than the more expensive models.

Having said that, a lot of people are raving about the Sigma Gain master at the moment. Check out YouTube.

killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
CB Handle: killer cam

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 pm

I had an A99 for many years great antenna !
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me

stanogs68
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:01 pm

are these aerials hard to erect only am not to good on heights haha were is the best place to mount them does it have to be say on the chimney or is the gutter any good and how tall are these aerials ,thanks for the replys :P

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:54 am

chimney is best and you looking at about 18ft tall

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:05 pm

stanogs68 wrote:are these aerials hard to erect only am not to good on heights haha were is the best place to mount them does it have to be say on the chimney or is the gutter any good and how tall are these aerials ,thanks for the replys :P
very easy. the sections just screw into each other, like the guys say great antennas in bad weathers *King*

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:42 pm

stanogs68 wrote:are these aerials hard to erect only am not to good on heights haha were is the best place to mount them does it have to be say on the chimney or is the gutter any good and how tall are these aerials ,thanks for the replys :P
Hire an antenna installer to do the climbing/fixing for you.

stanogs68
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:33 pm

would it be expensive for someone to erect it only this blast from the past hobby is starting to get expensive and the wive is watching my every move

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 pm

On average?

Maybe £80 for a simple guttering height T&K Bracket mount.

Depends on how desperate you look. :lol:

stanogs68
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:59 pm

if i am going to get some one to do it for me i might aswell get it on the chimney on the end of a scalfold pole with a red light on top :D rather then hanging off me gutter :lol: ps what is your thouhts on the cheapest best homebased ae :D rial i could get

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 pm

stanogs68 wrote:if i am going to get some one to do it for me i might aswell get it on the chimney on the end of a scalfold pole with a red light on top :D rather then hanging off me gutter :lol: ps what is your thouhts on the cheapest best homebased ae :D rial i could get
buy cheap buy TWICE ... a good antenna for not alot of money a silver rod :wink:

killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
CB Handle: killer cam

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:10 pm

My first antenna was a thunderpole half wave silver rod it was very well built and they were very helpful with getting it set up however I think it may be worth pushing the budget a little bit more and buying an A99 from them (my second antenna) very impressed with the antenna !
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:13 pm

killer cam wrote:My first antenna was a thunderpole half wave silver rod it was very well built and they were very helpful with getting it set up however I think it may be worth pushing the budget a little bit more and buying an A99 from them (my second antenna) very impressed with the antenna !
yes i think so to :D

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:35 am

yes you cant go wrong with the 1/2 wave silver rod

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

stanogs68
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:29 pm

i have took in what you have all said and i think i will get a silver rod but what is the difference between a 1/2 wave and 3/4 wave antenna which do i need ?, alsohow much wind can it take without breaing only im worried that i get it up and it will end up getting snapped in the wind because im ratherhigh up and exposed i dont want to have to fix it every ten minutes :D plus how do you swr it when its up or can you do it when its not on the roof ,sorry for sounding silly but ive not had a cb since 1986 ha ha , thanks for the help :D ps were is the best reliable cheapest place to buy from and what will it cost me for the coax and cable ,from the roof to the bedroom ,cheers for the help