best homebase aerial

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Ive never seen a GP break they are pretty much indestructable and long lasting but they can be left with a bend after verry strong gales , They are easily straitened though . Sometimes on a very old GP the jubilee clips can carode and break and a section will slide in putting the antenna out of tune .
Most GP antennas when purchased new have a black line marked on each section which makes them easy to assemble in frequency for 27mhz .

killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
CB Handle: killer cam

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:11 pm

If you order it all from thunderpole they will help you get it set up, I think I adjusted my swr by the length of the sections which tighten down with a jubilee clip. Give Andy or Colin a ring at thunderpole they will answer all you questions. :D
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:37 pm

stanogs68 wrote:what is the best homebase aerial out there, i want one thats fairly pricedand one thats easiest to fit,i dont really want to have to erect 20 feet scaflod poles and all that on the roof.i live on one of the highest places in cheshire and are not obstructed by any thing really,i want something thats cheap and easy to sort if there is anything out there,i have a cobra cb .thanks :|

hi stanogs68,

i have read about your location & what you are asking for & about, ok buddy well sounds to me you have the height advantage with you been on the highest part of Cheshire i would suggest the boomerang in the loft very easy to set up & is only 6 foot in height & work as good if not better than some big antennas & also comes with a ubolt so you can bolt it to anything you can, it also comes with a 1/4 wave antenna http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/base-cb-an ... erang.html

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:09 am

Hi Dave the thing about silver rods are yes they are cheap & do work well & with them been hollow inside putting 3 to 4 garden canes inside them to protect them from breaking in strong winds you can buy & add weather proof tape around the joints over the jubilee clips will protect the antenna from snapping & also will stop rain going into the antenna as long as the tape is water proof, if your having your antenna. On a stand off bracket just outside your bedroom window & having your radio in your bedroom I would say you will need about 10 to 15 meters of coax & I can't see the coax costing over £20 after you have the above it will all be worth it as your silver rod will stand against all the weather thrown at ït leaving you hours of fun on your radio hope the above information helps you buddy

anraj761
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:00 pm

These aerials hard to erect only am not to good on heights haha were is the best place to mount them does it have to be say on the chimney or is the gutter any good and how tall are these aerials

Mudslinger
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:45 pm

The Sirio GPE 27 5/8 wave is IMo the best value antenna on the market for homebase.

Hardly any more expensive than the usual bacofoil silver rods (About £40 is you shop around), but much more robust and get out better due to haveing radials which are long enough to actually do something.

Personally I don't rate Antron/Solarcon 99's. They work ok ish, but I have found a 5/8 wave gives out a much better signal, and also produce less static on the receive.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:31 am

if its a put up and forget the the antron is the one for you and it is ready set up so its just stick up and forget the silver rod is more prone to bending but it does come with markings for the swr so for cheapness the silver rod for dureability the antron and for quietness a gag for the wife

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:42 am

Mudslinger wrote:The Sirio GPE 27 5/8 wave is IMo the best value antenna on the market for homebase.

Hardly any more expensive than the usual bacofoil silver rods (About £40 is you shop around), but much more robust and get out better due to haveing radials which are long enough to actually do something.

Personally I don't rate Antron/Solarcon 99's. They work ok ish, but I have found a 5/8 wave gives out a much better signal, and also produce less static on the receive.
i can not agree more as sirio antennas are better quality built & also the 5/8 wave works better than the antron 99 & also the thunderpole 5 as the silver rod transmits & receive is much better,

& here is a video of the Sirio GPE 27 5/8, strong wind, at 1400m above sea level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyyopeT5m4c

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:39 am

its a no brainer really you need to order all the bits from our sponsor and go with the antron 99 which will answer all your questions and last quite a few years

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:12 pm

very true. very good antennas the a99 :D

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed May 14, 2014 9:05 am

the good thing about silver rods is that you can put bamboo canes in to the antenna to make the antenna more stable against strong winds & i would also recommenced adding some weather proof tape from B&Q around each joint

Gold Coast 223
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:35 pm

Old Post but still valid info, I hope :wink:

The A99 here in the States is where most ppl begin, then upgrade - to almost anything else!

It's not a terrible antenna, especially if you take the time to install them correctly with an 8 x .05WL counterpoise, like Oggy's shown HERE, a common-mode current choke and a non-metallic (fiberglass?) isolation pole atop the metal mast & around which the CMCC would be mounted, however, and for the handy home-brewer types; if one could simply mount a stainless steel or aluminum 1/4 wave above an insulator with three or four 1/4 wave radials coming down from the shield of the coax connector/feed point to insulators, then dacron or ?? line from the insulators to the tie points, providing a 30°-60° diagonal counterpoise system, (emulating the '70s-era Starduster) one would have a low SWR, center-fed vertical dipole with very favorable receive & transmit performance rivaling, if not beating, that of the A99.
One may also add a small (~7"L x 1.5"w) shunt in the shape of a U-Turn at the feed point, like the one pictured HERE, for DC grounding of static, directly shorting across from the base of the radiator to the ground radials hub.
Make the 1.5" shorting bar moveable and the two straight leads 10"-12" to begin, then monitor the SWR & reactance with an MFJ-259B or equivalent as the U-turn is slowly shortened by sliding the shorting bar until it reaches nearest to 1:1 & zero respectively, then trim & solder.
Without bothering with the shunt & analyzer you can simply make one with about 8' 9" lengths, trimming for lowest SWR, and enjoy great performance - that is until you can afford to spring for a metal 5/8 8-[

73 & Hope to work you across the waves...