1/4 wave 1/2 wave & 5/8 wave & there purpose.

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:33 pm

1/4 wave is unity gain, short (compared to the others at least) and generally works well. It has a fairly uniform pattern both vertically and horizontally (meaning its patters looks like a circle as far as range and half a doughnut as far as radiation angle goes) so it works well in urban areas where the sites are on high buildings. It generally requires a ground plane to work as designed.

1/2 wave is quite similar to the quarter wave antenna where its main advantage is it doesn't require a ground plane to work as designed. There are versions that provide a bit of gain, but those also are somewhat directional (directionality increases with gain).

5/8 wave antennas generally gives about 3 dB of gain, is longer than the others and requires a loading coil to work correctly. It's omnidirectional, but has a high angle wave (so it works well when the site is not nearby and on a tall tower or mountain top, but not so well when the site is nearby and on top of a tall building). It requires a ground plane to work as designed.

Hope the Above information has given you new members a idea how different antennas work & hope the above information has helped you out. :wink:

& here is a image how different antenna`s work,

Last edited by wildfire on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Very good information :D

Andy :wink:

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:03 am

andy@thunderpole.co.uk wrote:Very good information :D

Andy :wink:
Well I'm always glad to be of service & give my best advice as possible Andy :wink:

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am

wildfire wrote:Well I'm always glad to be of service & give my best advice as possible Andy :wink:
Appreciated :D