Rigging mobile antenna for home use

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

terrym
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi, newbie here.
Having just retired I am trying to rig up my CB kit from my truck, "Nato 40fm and Serio 5000 antenna" into my garage for home use, question is, do I bolt my antenna bracket on to the garage wall then run an earth cable to ground from the bracket or bolt a plate to wall to take a 7in magmount, is there a way to do it properly, I dont rearly want to be bolting homebase antennas to the garage, just need it to keep chatting to workmates.appreciate any help lads

chazwozza
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:08 pm

As its a mobile antenna you would need a significant ground plane to get it working correctly
some people just bolt em onto the metal guttering etc some put down large metal plates
not sure how effective running a ground wire would be

Trust me on this just experiment with what you have and see what works for you if nothing seems to be working
just do a few google searches and you should get loads more ideas

just attaching the antenna to one mounted wall bracket im not sure that will give enough ground
although a simple solution would be to mount a wot pole/ di pole type antenna should work similar to the mobile twig and easy to install

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/base-cb-an ... tenna.html

be creative and have fun seems to be the key when installing antennas

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:06 pm

My garage roof is flat but i have lashed up a quarterwave antenna made from an old aluminium shower rail , it dose blow over easy in the winds however so a tank whip would be better , it is 105in long with 4 metal rails 105in long as the ground plane . I have used mobile antennas on the same groundplane but the quarter wave beats them all .

terrym
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks for the replies lads, I seem to get what you mean, its all to do with the groundplain,I will bolt it to the wall at the apex of the roof and run some wires like dragonfly has in his picture down to the ground and go from there,see what happens.

terrym
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Have managed to get it working, what I have done is put the magmount on a piece of steel about 18in square put it on the grass in the garden and run the coax into the garage and all seems ok at the moment, swr down to 1.2.
Will keep experimenting until I have it right.

Thanks for all your help

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Sounds like you are getting common mode ground plane from the coax which willl likely be 18ft long on the Sirio 5000 . My guess is that the SWR will rise quickly the higher you put the antenna ,
Magmounts usually work fairly good when just stuck on the tin garage door .