Homemade Dipole.

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Fingerbang
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi all

I'm wanting to install a cb rig in my man shack (read: garage) but would prefer a dipole aerial as opposed to a long antenna bolted to the exterior - cost plays a big part in this but also I wanted the satisfaction of creating my own aerial. I live in a very windy area as I'm more or less up on top a hill and therefore also don't want to have large antennas breaking. As there doesn't appear to be many people using cb in close proximity (very rarely pick up anyone on my van rig) I thought a simple set up to get further afield which also allows my kids to chat to me when I get in range on my way home from work would be a fun project.

Question would be - what sort of range does a horizontal dipole give you. Appreciate a vertical antenna is best 'but' if I can build a dipole for a few quid it'll get me up and running.

Many thanks in advance of any replies!

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:39 pm

all i can say is set it up and try it out then let us know

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:52 pm

or put a antron 99 on a short pole if your home is high up :D

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Sat May 10, 2014 1:05 am

Hi Fingerbang & welcome to the forum buddy, i would try out the sirio Boomerang 27a in the loft & enough RG213 coax to reach to your shed as they work well & will be unable to get damaged by any winds but another couple of loft antennas are the signal keeper what some users used to use back in the 80s & last but not least the trusty old DV 27 just a few ideas for you buddy :wink:

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat May 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Wire dipole works quite good though horizontal they are better at skip than local , If your garage is in the open and quite high you will get great range .

Here is my wire dipole in the garage rafters . Made from Lamp flex ,A chock block connector and 18ft of coax , wound a bit of the coax round a bit of plastic to form a balloon .
http://imageshack.com/a/img856/9632/rlor.jpg