Ground Mounted Antenna Questions

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Doodlebug20
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:32 am

Hi i am hoping someone can help me out with an idea i have got regarding ground mounting a 1/2 Wave sigma venom vertical. My intention is to ground mount the vertical due to antenna restrictions at my qth, and i am going to run about 80 radials out from the base using a radial plate. Could someone put me right regarding attaching the coax to the antenna and radial plate......do i attach the coax to the SO239 on the base of the antenna and run a cable from the antenna mounting bracket to the radial plate .....or do i open the antenna base and get rid of the coil that is in there and use the SO239 fitting on the radial plate and attach the center wire to the vertical? Would it matter if i just mount the antenna without modifying it...on a pole driven into the ground with the radial plate at the bottom? I measured the resistance on the antenna and it gives a direct short from the inner of the SO239 to the outer due i think to the coil in the bottom. I have seen ground mounted antennas where they insulate the vertical element from the radials and im not sure if my antenna is right for the job in hand or if i can modify in some way??

Hope someone can help as im starting to go grey thinking about it...and cant find any info on the net:-(

Thank You

Doodlebug20

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:06 am

yes the antenna has to be insulated from the ground i think the only answer is to try with 1 ground wire and take it from there hope for fine days when you are experimenting with it

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:18 pm

I have had a Half Wave GP SWR nice and low mounted on just a 3ft pole due to council restrictions, Had to shorten the antenna by about 2ft to get it to tune to the short mounting pole . No ground wires were used .
Wet ground would alter the tuning so try it attatched to a fence post .Hight Restrictions only apply if you go higher than the TV antenna .

bobthetank
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:22 pm

You may find with using a halfwave the lower angle of radiation may not work as good mounted low to ground compared to a quarter wave dipole which has a much high angle to get over building,hilly terrain when mounted in low position.
The higher the better with Half wave antennas.

My choice would be a 10m fibre pole mounted a ground height and a T2LT/Coax Dipole antenna,you can get this up higher at a similar height as halfwave for better radiation.
see link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NliZQyWV4vQ

Bob