CB homebase advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
CB Handle: killer cam

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:17 pm

hi guys

well im after a amp for my cb home base rig I dont want to speed a lot of money on one plus i would like to run it from just the one power supply (one that I run the rig from 6 amp) whats the most powerful amp i can run on that and also are pre amps any good ?
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:40 am

35 watt amp yes pre-amps work as well

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Kenwood man
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:13 pm

What you need is a good antenna with a low swr first or the amp is a waste of time.

Btter still use 25w out of the radio if it does that or get a cheap hf rig that will do 100w and you can adjust the power to were you want it.

But the psu you have is of no use 6 amps is too low 7-9 to run my old lincoln and hf require 25 amp.

killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:23 pm

hi mate

i have a 4 watt fm uk cb radio at home my antenna is an A99 i want to get an amp to get out further i was wondering if pre amps are any good what power supply do i need ? 10amp ? iv got a 6 amp power supply for my radio but im sure i will need another power supply for the amp i take it that will need to be a 10amp just for the amp
M6TBR

Kenwood man
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:46 pm

i was wondering if pre amps are any good

A pre amp is ONLY for the received signal it makes the guy your talking to much clearer and better quality it can make you listen to a weak station were as if you didn't have one you may not hear them very well.

A linear or booster or kicker is a simple amplifier that you put 4 watts into it to get out say 50w out to make you heard stronger.

To run either another psu (power supply unit) is needed 5-7 amp should be fine for the linear, the pre amp may work from what you have already.

Hope that clears up the differance, in a Hf rig most have a pre amp built in and variable 100w power.

killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:18 pm

hi mate

yes that does clear up alot of confusion thanks so do you think i should be able to run this amp: http://thunderpole.co.uk/k-po_ea150p.html on my current 6 amp 13.8v dc power supply aswell as my radio ?
M6TBR

Kenwood man
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Yes you may just be ok no larger linear as it will draw more current 6 amp minimum 6-8 amp psu,

killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:31 pm

hi mate

what will happen if my 6amp power supply cant power both radio and amp ?
M6TBR

Kenwood man
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:52 pm

It won't power the amp it may warble on audio as seen as your only on fm it should be ok if it was ssb you would sound crap.

Most folks have a sepperate power supply or use 20-25amp psu to work these this is what i use then you can have various things running at the same time or use a car battery for the amp but you will have to charge it every week or so. :D

killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:38 pm

ok cheers mate well i have not got a spare car battery gave one away couple months back ::-() see i want to get a pre amp but the cash flow is low at the moment if you get me so im trying to avoid a new power supply

thanks
M6TBR