Getting full Use of a CB

CB homebase advice and troubleshooting

Moderators: FISH, stampman

DaffyDuck
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:14 pm

Hi All,

I have the Magnum S9 which I mainly use for keeping in touch with friends whilst out taxi"ing. I have noticed that there are various other channel selectors A to E and also other setting such as am usb etc etc.

I have done so searching on the net and understand that on some of these channels you can here people from further away etc, however does anyone know how you set this up on an s9. I keep flicking through different settings but dont seem to find anything. Somebody mentioned that on some channel I might have to change the last few digits to five???

Is there anywhere to find this out or any literature available to buy.

Thanks

Andy

DaffyDuck
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:01 pm

Just to add to this, I have downloaded a frequency chart that seems to match my rig which starts at 25,611 and ends on 29,201. However on this chart it says channel 19 should be 27.785 but my channel 19 seems to be 27.781.

Is this right and sorry for all the questions.

Paul (2H3CK)
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Daffy,
The radio you have is in its original form is a 10 Metre amateur radio and would normally only operate between 28.000 and 29.700 Mhz which are amateur radio frequencies, for which you need to be a licenced amateur operator. 99% of Magnums have been modified like yours to operate on frequencies through the 11 Metre band (including 27/81). Firstly i would avoid TXing anywhere above 28.000 Mhz on any mode (AM/USB/LSB/FM/CW).
The best place to listen initially is 27.555 USB which is the international calling frequency, you should soon be able to here some stations from europe. Please bear in mind that operating on these frequencies is pirating but is excellent when the conditions are right! Do a bit of research before you make a call. Take a look at these sites: http://www.open-channel.co.uk (click on dx zone) and http://www.oscarpapa.com as theres some good info to be had there. I'm sure there be others out there who will add there 2p worth!
Cheers....and good luck....
All the best.....73....P