Fitting CB Into Freelander... Advice

4x4 CB radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: The Jester

Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:25 pm

Just joined the forum, as just purchased a cb to go into my recently purchased Freelander (Eeee, its all spend spend spend at our house...)

I would be interested to hear of any Freelander owners who have installed a cb unit into their vehicle, where abouts you have located it, how you have wired it and how you have fitted the aerial (Fixed, mag mount etc).

Any photos would be great...

cheers,

Mick
HANDLE : The Jester

jdo330
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum :D

I dont have a Freelander but just a couple of points worth mentioning.

Make sure whatever antenna you have it needs a really good groundplane so the middle of your roof (if poss) is a great start and im guessing you dont want to drill holes so try a mag mount.

Re the radio, technically it can go anywhere you want it (ie, fits and looks nice) but I would stay away fro things that could cause interference (eg, try not to mount it near the ECU). I would also wire directly to the battery.

Hope this helps, enjoy your new toy s) :D

ATB, Jon.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 am

make your first choice a gutter mount if you can

:D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:04 am

Cheers Jon, I`ll bear that in mind....

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 am

Excuse my ignorance (Newbie), but why the gutter mount ?

While were on the subject. I am looking to purchase a Mini Orbitor with mag mount (Second hand) which says it doesnt need calibrating. Should I still match the aerial up to my unit with an SWR meter ?

Regards.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:45 pm

guteer mount is stright into the body work and a first class earth mag mounts tend to rust and alter the swr unless you go for the wilson mag mount which is galvanised

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

jdo330
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:01 pm

stampman wrote:guteer mount is stright into the body work and a first class earth mag mounts tend to rust and alter the swr unless you go for the wilson mag mount which is galvanised

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cant say ive personally ever had that problem with a mag mount but thats not to say it couldnt happen. I guess the thing to do would be to keep an eye on it?

However, I have had a gutter mount and admittedly the earth is better but it breaks the paint in order to do so and on a newish vehicle im not sure many people would want to do that. I guess the choice is the possibility of a rusty mag mount or a ruster gutter :?

ATB, Jon.

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:58 am

What about one of those "[url=http://******.co.uk/Landrover-Freelander-Aerial-mount-for-CB-or-Ham-radio_" thingys off ****...

Could I then purchase an aerial that can be permenantly fixed, but be able to detatch the antenna (And put in boot for safety)...

I could then hopefully run the cable through the same hole/grommet that the windscreen wiper wire uses to go into the boot space....

Any thoughts oh wise ones....

jdo330
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Mstaines,

I know the mount you are referring to, ive seen them on Disco's. I suppose they are OK (never heard anyone saying they are great, never heard anyone saying they are bad). If you go down that route I would personally go for an antenna with a top loaded coil so you will still be able to get the SWR nice and low. Im still not sure how well it would perform though from a radiated patern point of view?

Personally, I still prefer a decent mag mount in the centre of the roof - something like a Wilson 1000 (just about the best you can get) or if you want to be a bit more low key then the Wilson Little Wil is excellent for its size - not as good as th 1000 but still respectable (I use one on my car myself with a "little red box").

Best of luck.

Jon.

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:28 pm

Ok, cheers for that, very encouraging...didnt fancy drilling any holes in my bodywork and wasnt too sure about the bracket stuck on the back.... Mag mount it is for me then...well for now anyway...thanks again

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks for all your ideas etc. Have spent most of this morning trying the unit in different locations, making sure I could see and reach the controls ok. Also wanted to make sure I could run the cables without much being on show...

And several hours later, I think I have the ideal place, its pretty straight forward really and I have run a fish wire down a sneaky hole in the dash to make sure I can run the relevant cables...

I will post some photos once complete, so that anyone else having the same conundrum as me, will have something to go on...

Thanks again for your ideas, they HAVE helped in my choice of location...

"Forward Planning Is The Key"

Watch this space !

randombod
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: randombod

Sat May 24, 2008 10:34 pm

i dont know if you have seen already but on another post (i forget whom by i do appologise) has a wonderful rig set up in picture detail its well worth a look