Fitting Of CB Into Freelander Completed (Photos)

4x4 CB radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: The Jester

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:01 pm

The installation of my first ever CB into my Freelander, is finally complete and I have to say I`m quite chuffed with it.
I have installed the rig in such a way that it looks neat (I`m fussy like that), all the wires are concealed and most importantly, when the time comes, it can all be removed from the vehicle at any time, without any hassle or unsightly holes...

So, lets have a closer look (If you`re interested of course)...

(1) I have run a 12v feed from the Aux 12v Socket, which is located in the armrest console, using Scotch Block Connectors. I went for this 12v socket rather than the one in the dash console, simply because it was easier to get to (believe it or not)...

(2) I then ran the cable under the central console, behind the steering column and up through the hole which is located under the little rubber mat to the right of the main speedometer etc. console. This was a bit fiddley, but several grazed knuckles later and a bad back from contorting myself under the dashboard, I got there (And worth the effort)...

(3) With the Orbitor Antenna positioned on the roof using a mag mount, the coax was fed in through the tailgate window, then hidden behind the roof lining rubber strips, all the way to the dash on the drivers side. The coax was then fed up through the same hole as the 12v supply (Again quite fiddley)...

(4) Both cables were then neatly run round the back of the main speedometer dash console to the CB Bracket area...
(Note: The bracket was made from a mahogony offcut and a couple of brass angle brackets, sprayed with black Plasticote to match the dash)

(5) The connector for the 12v supply (Which allows me to disconnect the CB) was then concealed in the rubber mat which fits to the left of the main speedometer console. A short piece of flexi conduit was used to tidy up the 12v cables here...

(6) The coax is also run through this rubber mat then placed in position next to the bracket...

(7) Everything now in position, the rubber mat which came from the central armrest, was used to fill the gap next to the rig, making a usefull little storage tray for keys, fuses, phone etc...

(8) The other little rubber mat was also re-fitted to neatly conceal the cables next to the dash...

(9) And there you have it, install complete...

All the cable, connectors, flexi conduit and spare fuses cost me a grand total of £1.80

I have also made up a lead with a 12v cigarette plug and connector for attatching to the rig if I ever need to remove it from my vehicle and fit temporarly in another vehicle, caravan etc.

And this is my Mobile Unit with Orbitor fitted to roof...

And for anybody who asks "Why havent you placed the mag mount in the centre of the roof"... There are some really annoying ridges on the roof, that hinder the smooth placing of the mag mount...

Hope you enjoyed my little DIY journey and if it helps anybody else trying to install their CB into a Freelander... GREAT !
HANDLE : The Jester

ozzie1989
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:29 pm

A very neat install there. I'm mightily impressed with your perseverance in running that cable the way you did, but you did it well and it looks fab :D

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:05 pm

i agree you have done a great job with setting your radio up jester i am pleased with the way you have tidy cables fabulouse job buddy,

i do on the other hand have one question for you buddy who picked the mag mount i would have personaly picked the 6" Large Thunderpole Mag and would have sat across the centre of your beams on your freelander roof.

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: The Jester

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Stuart,

I did originally have a larger diameter mag mount, but the ridges in the roof meant it didnt sit flat on the roof i.e. there were gaps underneath the mount, which I wasnt too keen on. This one seems to work ok. May upgrade antenna to a Wilson 1000 at a later date,

Thanks for the comments...
HANDLE : The Jester

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:36 pm

yeah i know what you mean about those ridges on the roof of freelanders just a shame some fool forgot to put gutters onto freelanders :roll: then you could have used a gutter mount then you would have less trouble and for those ridges on the roof ohh man give me a break #-o the trouble these guys who invent these up to date motors give us head aches, but glad that the orbitor and mag mount are doing you proud untill you treat yourself with the wilson 1000 :wink: and i have never used a wilson but have heard very good reports about them matey.

Danpompey
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:12 pm

Such a good fit, I have just bought a freelander and couldn't (before reading this) work out how I was going to do it.

My problems solved!! Thanks :-)

randombod
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: randombod

Fri May 23, 2008 8:01 pm

very nice post there i have had multiple cb's in my freelander and that by far is the best way to fit them . i sumpathise with u about the knuckes they are the worse vehicles to run wires on

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sat May 24, 2008 8:44 am

only 1 thing wrong the scotch lock you should change it they are rubbish and at sometime will give you problems sutch as limiting the ampage to your set

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

dino2k9
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:35 pm

yip agree tottally great install neatest ive ever seen my dad had a mitsubishi shogun which was a nightmare to conceal the cables :x and it took a couple of days to actually get it all set up the dash was to cramped but as i said u have done a great install =D> :D

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:10 pm

very neat and tidy ..job done well *King* =D> =D>

randombod
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: randombod

Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:34 pm

hi guys been away form the scene for a while due to work etc but i have been looking at the pictures and i have just bought a bracket which fits behind the spare wheel at the rear leaving the roof free for the rack and clutter we leave up there :). it earths well and looks great

moded no ref to other sites as per rules and regs

killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
CB Handle: killer cam

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:12 pm

nice
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me