Midland 98 issues

4x4 CB radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Chris1965
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi... hope someone can advise me ...Recently bought a secondhand Midland 98, fitted in my landy, large spring based whip aerial, mounted to a huge roofrack with excellent earth to chassis. Bought a small SWR meter to check things out aerial wise ..... getting a swr reading of about 1.5 (ish) on channel 20.
Now here's the odd thing, with the swr all hooked up the display on the cb shows max out put on the indicator, when the swr meter is taken out and the aerial connected directly to the cb, the power output display only goes to 5 ???
I have checked continuity with a meter and everything is as it should be , anyone know whats going on ??

ps. I can recieve signals fine, just nobody in my area to check signal or modulation with !... I could video whats going on if that helps

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:28 pm

It sounds like your antenna is fine and has a good 50 ohm load which will make the output from your radio very low 3 to 4 wats . if the low tx reading is not to your liking you could get the radio output tweeked up a bit or u could simply adjust the TX horseshoe inside the radio.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:28 am

if its reading 1.5 then its fine use it as a guide if it varies on tx on 20 then something is going wrong

*King* *King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Chris1965
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks for the comments... I am hoping to find a local user to try things out with ... as yet .. no success.

Why do people still play music on 19 ?? we had all this trouble back in the 80's would have thought it would have gone by now !!

Guess some things never change !