Fitting a CB in a Discovery 2

4x4 CB radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

PGTips
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: PGTips

Mon May 28, 2012 12:19 pm

This is my first CB, and I wanted something that would be out of sight so that the car wouldn't get broken into. I decided to get a PolMar Venus 8)

There an old multi change CD unit under the drivers seat. It's not connected and some of the internals were missing anyway. I decided to use this as a base to mount the CB. Firstly I removed all the internals

leaving me with just the base

I then mounted the bracket and secured the unit to the floor using the existing fittings

I removed the centre console and ran the power cable underneath, where I connected it to the wiring at the rear of the cigarette lighter.

The CB comes with a 2m long microphone extension cable that I ran along the side of the drivers seat. I placed the connection box on the wooden console and I can easily removed the microphone and store it in the cubby box when not in use.

I placed the SWR Meter under the drivers seat as well where I can get easy access by opening a small door at the base of the seat

The Ariel is a gutter mounted Mini Orbitor. I removed the trim and ran the cable up the 'B' pillar. I drilled a small hole to allow the cable to get out that still allows the door seals to work properly, and put some clear silicone around it just to be sure. I also ran an additional earth cable and secured it to a seat belt mount on the 'B' pillar.

I initially had a 3/8 Quick Release for the Orbitor, but decided this was just a bit too easy to steal, so I've removed it for now.

I'm still thinking about the best option for the microphone as I don't want to start putting holes in the vehicles trim......
Last edited by PGTips on Tue May 29, 2012 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Discovery 2 TD5 ES
The D2 Boys Club
SLROC Member
Scottish Green Road Club
ImageImage

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Mon May 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Very tidy install, I am impressed =D>

The only thing I would suggest is to not leave the SWR connected all the time, as it will introduce a small loss. You could just use a double female to connect the two leads then swap it for the meter when you needed it?... http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/adaptors/p ... emale.html

Nice pictures too :D Could I be cheeky and ask if you would mind us using the antenna picture for promotional purposes?

Andy :wink:

PGTips
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Mon May 28, 2012 1:01 pm

I have just ordered the Double Female Connector - Thanks for letting me know.

Feel free to use any of the pictures you like for promotional purposes. Let me know if you need any more and I will oblige 8)
Discovery 2 TD5 ES
The D2 Boys Club
SLROC Member
Scottish Green Road Club
ImageImage

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon May 28, 2012 2:14 pm

yes very good set up well done

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Mon May 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Excellent, thanks.

Any pictures are appreciated, either of the radio install, or the antenna and mount.

Many thanks,

Andy. :wink:

PGTips
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Tue May 29, 2012 12:36 am

I intend to mount the Microphone on one of these. I'm just trying to source one at the moment as the company selling them is out of stock and has no idea when/if they will be back in......

Discovery 2 TD5 ES
The D2 Boys Club
SLROC Member
Scottish Green Road Club
ImageImage

PGTips
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed May 30, 2012 11:24 pm

I've modified an old vent mounted mobile phone holder to hold the microphone. It's secure enough for now but I'm still trying to get a proper bracket as I don't want to rely on the vent. Anyway, here's a few pictures I took tonight after work..........

I am very happy with this CB 8) *lurve*
Discovery 2 TD5 ES
The D2 Boys Club
SLROC Member
Scottish Green Road Club
ImageImage

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu May 31, 2012 8:35 am

the only thing i would do differently is change the antenna mount on the gutter mount as that type let in water at a great rate on knots using a dv mount fitted to the gutter mount will cure that problem

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it