Getting back into it...

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:04 am

AM is used on the A75 in Scotland and is the main way of communicating with the Irish truckers

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Revomikey
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up stampman.

Revomikey
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:06 pm

I have been thinking about "bigger is better" when it comes to my antenna, i know my old silver rod back in the day kicked ass so it think i might go back down that route, but on a hinge.

My thoughts are this, my CB is only on when i am working in my garage/ workshop so i am thinking of fabricating a hinged pole that i can leave a fully erected silver rod on and move horizontal and vertical when in and out of use.

I don't want it on show all the time and the my boundary is long enough to house something like this, i will give it more thought and keep you posted if i do it

Clouddancer
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Yes the Thunderpole CB Map is excellent.
You can enter you Handle or Callsign into it and see
other breakers in your area or in UK as a whole.
I note in Morecambe /Lancaster there is not so many about.
I find south of Lancaster there is more Breakers, hence I visit Jubilee tower
where I can contact them including Truckers.
CB is not entirely dead but quieter to what it has been which is not a bad thing. :)

Rusty
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi I have the same thing going on found my old uniden 200 are they still compatible thanks

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:00 am

Yes the Uniden 200 was a 40 channel UK radio, and the UK channels are still the same.

Andy.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:03 am

AM is used mainly on the A74 road to stranrar by the Irish drivers using the ferry's

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Techuk
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Just started the route to starting again. I am waiting for a Cobra 148 GTL from USA. I have bought it untested for spares so :?: your guess is as good as mine what it will be like. Hope it isn't a brick. Anyway it will be fixed even a poor cheap Chinese takeaway - the bad bits can be replaced. Anyone know a good radio engineer? So it could take weeks and weeks to get the rig working. Any suggestions what i should do with it?? careful! I mean Antenna. well that is the long and short of it.. give me a shout out
Watch this space *King*

Clouddancer
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
As said Harrier is a good rig.
I use a Rotel 240 and a Thunderpole T-800 which I consider a great basic little Radio.
Like you came back into CB after many years.
Sadly there are not many Breakers in my area.
However I often visit Jubilee Tower near Lancaster and get out quite well on 4 Watts
due to the fact it is 700/800 ft high.
So far have copies to Blackpool, Preston, Blackburn, Leyland, Chorley, Rivington, Eccleston, Southport and Crosby.
Two Antennas I mainly use :- Thunderpole Supa-Nova and the Original Les Wallen Modulator. :)

Techuk
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Fri May 17, 2019 11:59 am

Got my radio and its hot! just got my hygain silver rod up but have not routed the feed to my radio yet. do i need to earth the aerial? got a charly tango handle. really close to pressing the key in earnest.
Watch this space *King*