Search found 36 matches

by northern35s
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:47 am
Forum: CB Antennas
Topic: ranger 2970 dx which antena ??
Replies: 6
Views: 4100

Re: ranger 2970 dx which antena ??

My money would be spent on a Sirio 3000 / 4000 as below, in fact, my money was :lol: :

Sirio HiPower
by northern35s
Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 am
Forum: Gallery
Topic: Another old timer
Replies: 21
Views: 37026

Re: Another old timer

Without a fan the KL400 gets VERY hot, well mine did before it gave up, it's now permanently cold :cry:
by northern35s
Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 am
Forum: Amateur Radio
Topic: VX-8's, GPS, APRS & Amateur Radio
Replies: 25
Views: 14507

Re: VX-8's, GPS, APRS & Amateur Radio

If it's too small I can convert it into barleycorns which is 206.693 bar. however that is only 1.02832 smoots, mind you that equals 8.6992 links :lol:
by northern35s
Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:47 pm
Forum: Amateur Radio
Topic: VX-8's, GPS, APRS & Amateur Radio
Replies: 25
Views: 14507

Re: VX-8's, GPS, APRS & Amateur Radio

2000mm divide by 8 = 250mm then multiply 250mm by 7 = 1750mm or 1.75m or 69.89 inch or 5.74 feet or 5 feet 9 inch approx :D
by northern35s
Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:58 am
Forum: Amateur Radio
Topic: How popular is 10 meters?
Replies: 28
Views: 12980

Re: How popular is 10 meters?

I've not come across many muppets, that's not to say they don't exist, but there have always been ham muppets anyway, the self appointed band police and CW deadkeyers. I remember when the foundation licence came in, I got an M3 callsign to use hf and decided to give cw a real go, I could send at 17 ...
by northern35s
Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 pm
Forum: Amateur Radio
Topic: How popular is 10 meters?
Replies: 28
Views: 12980

Re: How popular is 10 meters?

VHF SSB is usually very quiet, as in not much noise, and good groundwave long distance can be had, it's also quite rewarding during a lift, probably becasue DX isn't as easy as HF, a greater sense of achievement so to speak :) Oh and multi element beams aren't as likely to upset the neighbours as ...
by northern35s
Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:25 pm
Forum: CB Radios
Topic: Starting up
Replies: 9
Views: 3289

Re: Starting up

2 - 3 amps should be fine at 4 watts output :)
by northern35s
Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:05 am
Forum: CB Radios
Topic: Starting up
Replies: 9
Views: 3289

Re: Starting up

As Stampman says, and is spot on :wink:

I'd like to add to that though, like most things electronic today, and especially where hobbies are concerned, one has to consider future requirements should you get the bug, it's not so easy to predict what you'll need in six months time, and if I could I'd ...
by northern35s
Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:01 pm
Forum: Technical Help
Topic: oops just blown my Intek :(
Replies: 16
Views: 6302

Re: oops just blown my Intek :(

S109 wrote:It works =D>

Need to get a diode though just soldered a piece of wire in for now 8-[
Mega gash :shock:






I like your style, you'll go far :lol:
by northern35s
Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:32 pm
Forum: Technical Help
Topic: oops just blown my Intek :(
Replies: 16
Views: 6302

Re: oops just blown my Intek :(

Some rigs of old used to have a reverse polarity diode for this very reason and the little thing would give up no smoke, no big bang, and definitely no lights :lol: Mind you I did see one little rig that wasn't so equipped, the biggest capacitor of the lot had exploded, and what a horrible mess it ...
by northern35s
Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:12 pm
Forum: CB Antennas
Topic: weather
Replies: 31
Views: 8718

Re: weather

porky.69 wrote:
FISH wrote:would you go to blackpool in this weather.
andy ive been to blackpool in october for the lights and froze to the bone :D
That was just the reception from the locals, never mind the temperature :lol:
by northern35s
Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 am
Forum: CB Antennas
Topic: weather
Replies: 31
Views: 8718

Re: weather

I don't have much choice :lol: We've got snow this morning, it's even stuck, but I'll wager it's gone this evening.
by northern35s
Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:18 am
Forum: CB Radios
Topic: SUPERSTAR 3900EFT
Replies: 63
Views: 14914

Re: SUPERSTAR 3900EFT

She's woken up with a sore throat and doesn't feel too well, typical selfish woman spoiling my radio time, she's not going to stop me adding a couple more radials to my Hustler 5BTV and whilst VHF/UHF tribander is down I'm going to stick my old Sirio 827 up in it's place, I can't hear her moaning ...
by northern35s
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:11 am
Forum: CB Radios
Topic: SUPERSTAR 3900EFT
Replies: 63
Views: 14914

Re: SUPERSTAR 3900EFT

FISH wrote:kids go back to school next week,hope more time for radio.
I'm off Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Son at school, Wife at work, time for some radio :D
by northern35s
Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:47 am
Forum: CB Antennas
Topic: t&k?
Replies: 35
Views: 10543

Re: t&k?

The Electronica Special had four radials, a large aluminium single turn coil and was know to be intollerant of strong winds due to a short fibreglass section at the base, apart from the Sigma IV, it was THE antenna to have back in the day :D