For what use do people use their cb radios?

General Chat - one nine for a roger!

Moderator: stampman

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 pm

I note that the used cb radio market on eBay continues to flourish with ridiculous money being asked for tatty old radios. What really annoys me is the excuses people make for off loading crap that they can't even be bothered to clean. But what puzzles me the most is what are those that buy cb radios, used or new doing with them? Do they even know that an antenna and power source is required before they can hear anything? Do they know what the mic is for?.....Unless their is active participation in two way radio it will not work!! Try calling on the 14, or 18 for a chat! If there is nobody in your area, find someone who is also interested in radio and get them to buy into cb radio......Better still, if you have an old unused radio and antenna make a present of it to someone. Two cb'ers can become three or four or more....this is what we do on our local net here in Cornwall.....Donate your unused cb radios to those who show enthusiasm it works!! :D
AppleTree
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Prospector

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Well, I am one of those who buys old tatty uncleaned radios and also sells them too from time to time.
I don't over pay mind you, if you pester the sellers enough they usually give in and sell you it for the right (Cheap) price.

As for no people on the air, it's quite the oposite here in Essex. In fact sometimes the 19 is just a mash of people talking over people because nobody moves to a free channel lol.
Lately scotland and Wales, also Ireland have been coming in 5&9 and we have all made good conversation with many of them.
Also this month (August) a lot of Europe has been coming in. As for local, like I said it's very busy around here.

Also, there has been a lot of new people popping up on the air, both on 11 meters and also new M7's coming up on 2meters.

To answer your question in the title, I use my radios for a hobby, I love the radios and antennas and other stuff but also I do enjoy having a chat with friends and also strangers.
Contests on ham bands are also fun, but as I said the equipment itself is my main interest. I can't help myself from buying vintage radios. New stuff is okey but old pre 2000's is my thing.
You Can Find Me On Channel 19 Usually.
Or 145.500 FM 8-)

My YouTube Channel RustySkull Productions
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 am

Unfortunately the sale of used CB equipment on Ebay does not equate to a general uptake of two way radio...People are reluctant to call for a copy on channel 14 these days, and even more reluctant to answer a call. So what hope is there for a general revival? My remarks about eBay CB radio sellers was meant to be sarcastic......I stick with my original post. If you have a radio that works and you no longer need it, donate it....If you have a radio that needs repair either get it fixed or bin it! Don't mug people on auction sites. :)
Enterprise
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Stingray

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:38 pm

I have recently been looking on ebay at older cb equipment out of being curious.The state of some of the items for sale quite frankly horrifies me (what disease may I catch if I handle it ?). I have seen pics of really manky filthy rigs that have been in the loft/garage/greenhouse etc for a great number of years. All they do is pick up the item, lay in on a hard surface and take pics. Hold on, why not take the time and clean the rig before taking pics and posting up very brief details and low quality pics, this is not like a car which has been in a barn ( find) for many many years, dirt on the item does not add £££'s to the price. Sometimes no mic or powerlead to me is not an excuse to ask high prices for what is an basically an untested item. Sold as Seen at a reasonable price if fair, but Sellers comments like Untested and No Returns is so off putting. [-X
AppleTree
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Prospector

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:41 am

Enterprise wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:38 pm
I have recently been looking on ebay at older cb equipment out of being curious.The state of some of the items for sale quite frankly horrifies me (what disease may I catch if I handle it ?). I have seen pics of really manky filthy rigs that have been in the loft/garage/greenhouse etc for a great number of years. All they do is pick up the item, lay in on a hard surface and take pics. Hold on, why not take the time and clean the rig before taking pics and posting up very brief details and low quality pics, this is not like a car which has been in a barn ( find) for many many years, dirt on the item does not add £££'s to the price. Sometimes no mic or powerlead to me is not an excuse to ask high prices for what is an basically an untested item. Sold as Seen at a reasonable price if fair, but Sellers comments like Untested and No Returns is so off putting. [-X
Interesting you say that, I usually go specifically for the dirty ones with no mic etc. My collection of Stalkers were all bought looking like they had been in a pond for years.

Your comment about not accepting returns is normal because of the scammers about nowadays. If you are a normal person selling a radio and you accept returns then you're quite silly. You'll end up accepting it back and it'll have nothing inside it, then you have to spend ages prooving they scammed you. I've been there and had that happen.

Buying an old radio untested is a thrill, it's the fun of it for a lot of us. We don't always want to buy a radio we know will work, it's thrilling waiting to see what you'll get and what you'll have to do to repair it.
needle bender wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 am
My remarks about eBay CB radio sellers was meant to be sarcastic......
I know they were, so were mine =P~
You Can Find Me On Channel 19 Usually.
Or 145.500 FM 8-)

My YouTube Channel RustySkull Productions
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:36 pm

If you like fixing up old CB radios that's fine. With me it's fixing old commercial valve receivers......I don't have the knowledge or equipment to dabble with transceivers much beyond tweeking up the deviation....I have watched one or two of your YouTube productions..Very interesting. Sadly, living here in Apache country (Cornwall) reaching you on 11 metres is impossible! But I am capable of getting copies into South Wales and the Republic of Ireland from my favourite DX spot at Carn Brea, which is an old Iron Age fortress....Me and my buddies are to be found on midland, a.m mode...It's where it all started with me, and where it will end :D