Evening all!

A place for new members to say hello

Moderator: stampman

GoldVolvo
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Just a quick intro. Well timed too as my account has just been activated & I've, about half hour ago, just made my first contact too. :D

Anyway I'm Dan, based in Congleton & just getting into CB after a brief dabble on a mate's rig about 20 years ago. Took me sweet time, me! I've been into fixing and restoring old/vintage electronics, broadcast recievers/TV's/VCR's and the like for a while now so it was only a matter of time I suppose before 2-way radio came into the picture. That was helped along by a recent auction purchase, which leads me to my rig(s).

The lot I spotted was in our local auction house and after winning it for £12 and dragging it home for a look, I have a Cobra 19GTL with matching mic. in unknown condition as yet although I know the meter is dead. Also got a much nicer and unmessed with Rotel RVC240, Altai power mic, SWR meter and *cough* a little 30w Linear amp. Coupled with a cheap fleabay mag mount antenna (that needed about 80mm trimming off the whip to be anywhere near tuned) and I've been having a mess with my new toys for the last few days channel-hopping and trying to get a copy from anyone.

Was starting to think there was something amiss with both rigs until this evening, I knew I must be transmitting as I wouldn't have been able to SWR the antenna otherwise (I guess?) but was starting to think I was just dead carrier-ing as never heard anything approaching a copy. So, I figured I'd plug an earphone into the PA jack on the Rotel and see if the mic was doing anything. Lo & Behold it was clear as a bell and when I switched back to CB and rather rudely jumped in on some lads chatting on 25 asking for a copy (not expecting anything, obviously) they both came back and seems I was getting out quite well as they were somewhere about 8-10 miles away.

Very strange, I wonder if there was maybe dirt in the PA jack that got cleared when I plugged the 'phone in? Anyhow, so much for a quick intro. Anyone still awake at this point, thanks for reading this far and Hello!

Dan.
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 am

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum!

Andy
porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:51 pm

welcome to the forum :)