Loft Antenna Dilema

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

lemon
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi,

New to the forum and its been 36 years (how many? :o ) since I last used CB but wish I kept my antennas at least as I’ve recently been thinking of seriously getting back into it.

Anyway, thinking on getting a Midland Alan 42 - as I like its versatility as a handheld, mobile and base (though I doubt I’ll get much use as a handheld) but that’s the rig I’m leaning towards to start with.

I can’t consider an outdoor antenna (wife factor plus we get some real high winds and storms where I live - house is up pretty high though detached) so I’m resigned to a loft antenna for time being.

Loft is quite big but the area I boarded out is already full of boxes of stuff the wife doesn’t want to get rid of but still have some space.

Thinking between the Sirio Boomerang 27w or the Signal keeper (boomerang to mount on rafter or SK to free stand) but can’t make mind up on which?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Also, anyone know if the Midland Alan 42 can be powered from its charger or would I need a 13.8v supply with a cigarette socket adapter?

Thanks in advance
lemon
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 pm

Answered myself - don’t worry
AppleTree
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Grommet

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Lol what did you go with?
You Can Find Me On Channel 19 Usually.
Or 145.500 FM 8-)

My YouTube Channel RustySkull Productions
lemon
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:05 am

Lol - tried both - signal keeper works quite well considering (local copies) - boomerang total waste - too big for loft and swr +4 - bottom radial too close to electrics and wouldn’t work horizontal like a dipole either.

Several additional rigs later too - a crt one n and my current fav a crt 2000 h.

Since put up a 11m dipole - inverted v seems to work best on swr but also follows angle of roof slope.

Waiting for some good propagation to see if can get some reasonable dx - easy enough to reposition horizontal if no good in a v but a bugger to swr lol
Enterprise
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:28 pm

11m vertical Dipole's are very easy to SWR in, I've always been able to get an SWR of 1.1.2 across 80 channels on UK FM 40 and EU 40 (CEPT Mid block) with very little trouble. Never tried an inverted V dipole.

Currently using a SIRIO Boomerang A which is in my garden mounted to a garden concrete fencepost with the groundplane mounted at 140 degrees as per SIRIO's recomendation and that SWR'd in no problem across 5 blocks (Super Low well up into the 28 Mhz band). Got the SWR down to 1.2 on the channel 1 Super Low 26Mhz and 1.1.3 on 28.305 Mhz. I could get the SWR down lower but I would have to mod the length (longer) of the Radiator element. I can live with the way the SWR is, it may well alter when the Boomerang moves from the fence post up on to the roof (when I can find someone [-o< 8-[ who will put it up (an erection lol [-X ).