It would be higher if I put it in the attic !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebase antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

White Magic
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: White Magic

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi All, Still not sure what to do about my replacement antenna. :roll: I was thinking about buying an Antron 99 but when I put it up on my garage wall the top of the antenna will be as high as our roof gutter. The boss don't want it any higher. :oops: I was thinking if I got an attic antenna with a ground plate (Sigma GP mini-R) how would it compare to the antron as the attic antenna would be another seven foot higher. :idea: Its going to be in the attic yes but its going to be higher so will it be better, worse, the same, Does anyone know. :roll: :roll:

Cheers Tony
Last edited by White Magic on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnum 257
Intek 550
Danita 3000 multi
Midland 42 handheld
2 x MT5050 PMR's

163 Tango Mike 361
killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
CB Handle: killer cam

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:11 pm

HI Mate

well I have got a A99 it works great but its on the side of my house (top of the gutter) now higher up the antenna the better as there is not anything obstructing the signal if you like.

but a small whip in the loft would be higher up then where your A99 would be but I myself dont thing the whip in the loft would perform as good but wait for others to reply on here and see what they say I could be wrong !
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:38 am

thin i would go with the antron get the boss use to it and in 6 months put it on wall brackets

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Kenwood man
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:31 am

Any antenna in the attic will work but it all depends on a few things.

How high above sea level are you? if you live in a town on the top of a hill great you have cracked it, but if you surrounded by houses and buildings then the rx/tx will be limited.

And in the attic you have to put up with roof slates which can bounce the signal & when it rains can be problems with rx/tx too.

The best option is outside were it belongs on a chimney if you have one with a 10 foot alloy pole or T & k brackets off the side of your house again with a alloy pole to give better flex and lighter to put up.

Get the antenna away from the roof slates and walls and you have cracked it the A99 works well i use a sirio 827 best by far and had a few in the last 30 years.

One more thing coax don't buy the cheap rubbish that you find about buy low loss mini 8 or similar, the better the coax the stronger you signal will remain and live better in the harsh winters. :P
White Magic
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: White Magic

Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Thank you for the replies, I'm going for the A99. :D :D :D
Magnum 257
Intek 550
Danita 3000 multi
Midland 42 handheld
2 x MT5050 PMR's

163 Tango Mike 361