VX-8's, GPS, APRS & Amateur Radio
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
On my trip to the mainland yesterday I received a couple of APRS packets. Whilst at Clydebank, Glasgow I had qso's with hams in Ayrshire through the Dalry repeater which was 25 miles from where I was....EXCELLENT for a handheld to do that kind of distance. 1800mAh battery was WELL-WORTH getting...it stood up to several hours on dual band mode doing GPS & APRS whilst scanning 6m, 2m and 70cm's and talking on 2 meters. All in all, I'm VERY happy with my VX-8....IT WAS A LOT OF MONEY to pay out for it and all the extras but in my opinion (and a few hams on other forums) it's worth every penny! 
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
Have ordered a dual band mag mount antenna so I can sit in the car with my VX-8E and work 2 meters & 70 cm's. The trouble I was finding standing outside doing portable operations was the neighbours next door have a German Shepherd that barks it's head off all the time I'm trying to call CQ or have a QSO!!! Anyone else tried a small dual band mag mount antenna? I REALLY fancy a Wilson 2 mtr 5/8....perhaps put it on my b'day/Xmas list for this year?? 
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
Yeah, it's a quite big, 5/8 mag mount antenna just for 2 meters.....I'm VERY tempted!
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
northern35s
- Good Buddy

- Posts: 36
- Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:16 pm
- Location: Blackpool
2000mm divide by 8 = 250mm then multiply 250mm by 7 = 1750mm or 1.75m or 69.89 inch or 5.74 feet or 5 feet 9 inch approx 
-
northern35s
- Good Buddy

- Posts: 36
- Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:16 pm
- Location: Blackpool
If it's too small I can convert it into barleycorns which is 206.693 bar. however that is only 1.02832 smoots, mind you that equals 8.6992 links 
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
Found something online for my Yaesu VX-8E: a mag mount with SMA connector and plug so I can use the Diamond SRH-940 6m/2m/70cm antenna (which is fantasic) stuck on top of the car! Good eh? Cross with myself that I didn't find it before I'd ordered the dual band mag mount antenna but never mind, it was less than a tenner!! So, I've got the mag mount on order....wonder how long it'll take with all this bad weather?? 
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
A VERY BIG YAY!!! Tuesday I went to the mainland with my VX-8E and success (with the APRS features on it).....showed up on http://aprs.fi and my wife was able to stalk me (as she put it). Anyway, why now I hear you ask...it's because I've been in and changed settings and programmed it up right. Just now I've been storing a 70cm repeater into the memory, with great difficulty 'cause it had a REALLY odd split...that'll be another repeater to try next time I'm accross the water. 
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller

