Problem with my Magnum....
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
I'm without my Magnum 257 for a week now: it packed up last weekend....just wouldn't power up, i.e. turn on. Checked cables, fuse etc... all ok. Contacted supplier by email and give them their due they've been great at replying quickly and sending me a returns number. It was all packaged up and sent Special Delivery Tuesday. Really missing being on 10 meters! Anyone any ideas what the problem could be? I'm hoping it's something simple and that it's covered by the warranty!! 
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
THANKS!
Good news is it was something simple and covered by the warranty....on/off/volume switch was worn out!! It's been fixed and is on the way back to me!!!
Good news is it was something simple and covered by the warranty....on/off/volume switch was worn out!! It's been fixed and is on the way back to me!!!
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
Another problem now! This time with the Wilson 5000 Antenna (centre loaded trucker model tuned for 10m)....anyway, the swr was up so I tried un-doing the allen screws: one's knackered, so can't adjust or cut whip!! The tri-star and beehive mount are inseparable too!!! Argh!!!! Bit of a panic (I do tend to when it comes to these sort of things)....I've ordered a Hustler HF Mobile System: Hustler MO-1 Mast, RM-10-S Super Resonator and SSM-2 Mount.....all to get fitted on the car. Are these all ok? Have I got it right??
p.s. Wilson is for the bin!!!!!
p.s. Wilson is for the bin!!!!!
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
A VERY BIG YAY INDEED! Got my Hustler HF Mobile System fitted today!! It's a beast!!! Tall as a lamp-post on the car....
Anyway, it's sooo big I can't actually drive with it up: the garage said it'd have me roof off!!!! No, seriously guys I've never seen anything like it... Just tuned it in and I've got the best swr I ever did have - just above the 1 on the meter - brillifant!!!!!
Looking forward to IOTA this weekend (contact as many islands as you can and because I live on an island everyone will want to talk to me, I hope). Update on the Wilson 5000 Trucker....it's ok, turned out the meter I'd checked it with was faulty, swr was alright and the allen grub screws are working ok too....just the mount and tri-star in the bin, the Wilson is going up for sale...damned good antenna: talked to quite a few Europeans with it this year.

HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
BRILLIFANT! Qso'd with a ham in Slovenia yesterday evening over 1000 miles away!! WOW!!! Hustler and Magnum set-up is fantabulous!!!! 
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
- killer cam
- - - -> CB God <- - -

- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
- CB Handle: killer cam
- Location: Shrewsbury
M6TBR
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
-
jumpingmaster
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:59 pm
- CB Handle: jumpingmaster
- Location: nuneaton
hustler mobile antenna sounds good, have fun on IOTA. if i get time i shall tune about while mobile..you shouldn't have any trouble selling the wilson... antenna
good to see you got the magnum sorted..
good to see you got the magnum sorted..
-
White Magic
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:07 pm
- CB Handle: White Magic
- Location: Gwent
I had a problem with by 257 just after the warranty ran out
I keep loosing the incoming signal, it'll be for example on 3 pounds and as I'm listening I suddenly loose the breaker and theres no poundage. If I key the mike quickly I can hear them again and the poundage shows back up on the radio, if I don't I wouldn't get a copy with them again.
When I first turn the rig on and its on channel 19 theres nobody on the air, again if I key the mike for a second I can then start hearing breakers talking
I haven't had it looked at as I don't use it often. I have another radio that has no problems so I don't think its anything to do with the antenna.
Tony
I keep loosing the incoming signal, it'll be for example on 3 pounds and as I'm listening I suddenly loose the breaker and theres no poundage. If I key the mike quickly I can hear them again and the poundage shows back up on the radio, if I don't I wouldn't get a copy with them again.
When I first turn the rig on and its on channel 19 theres nobody on the air, again if I key the mike for a second I can then start hearing breakers talking
I haven't had it looked at as I don't use it often. I have another radio that has no problems so I don't think its anything to do with the antenna.
Tony
Magnum 257
Intek 550
Danita 3000 multi
Midland 42 handheld
2 x MT5050 PMR's
163 Tango Mike 361
Intek 550
Danita 3000 multi
Midland 42 handheld
2 x MT5050 PMR's
163 Tango Mike 361
-
White Magic
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:07 pm
- CB Handle: White Magic
- Location: Gwent
Just tried changing the mic, no difference.stampman wrote:try another mic first
![]()
![]()
![]()
Magnum 257
Intek 550
Danita 3000 multi
Midland 42 handheld
2 x MT5050 PMR's
163 Tango Mike 361
Intek 550
Danita 3000 multi
Midland 42 handheld
2 x MT5050 PMR's
163 Tango Mike 361
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
Really happy with my Magnum 257! Sorry to hear you've been having problems!! Just been out to do 10 meters mobile (usb portion of the band) and got a 5, 7 report and a nice ragchew...it's nearly blowing a gale up here!!! Went out earlier 'cause the forecast looks awful!!!! Don't fancy having the Hustler up on the car when it gets worse!!!!!
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
extremedave
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 226
- Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:37 pm
is there any difference between the magnum257 and this...http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/albrecht-ae485s.html ?
