A hello and question

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Post Reply
billathome65
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi the names Bill used to have a CB many moons ago but as with most things off a younger guy it was really a fad.

The handle was Mr Conspiricy.

Anyway as it's been so long I have got fed up of the net taking over real conversation and have decided I want to go back to basics.

I've seen a TCB 660 CB RADIO on the net at a good price but it say mobile CB the question is and it may be stupid can I use a power supply with this CB to use at home? If so is there a particular one I need?

Cheers Bill
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 pm
CB Handle: Guzzy
Location: England

Hello Bill,

Yes. You will need a 13.8V Regulated power supply if you want to operate the radio from home. A 2 or 3 Amp model would suffice, but I would suggest getting a bigger one, 7 or 9 Amps is a good size ... just in case you want to 'upgrade' your radio at a later time. :wink: It never hurts to have more Amps available.

You're also going to need a nice big home base antenna, users are MUCH further spread out than they were 30 years ago. If you are in a bad location (low down, or surrounded by tall buildings/hills, you may hear nobody at all.

Having a mobile CB setup can increase your chances of striking up random conversations as you travel about.
billathome65
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks Guzzy

At this moment i'm looking at the tti with the LCL as a back up if I don't get the tti. what is a good antenna at a low price as the lower number of users was something I was worried about. I could put it mobile but to be honest I don't do much driving just to work and back really. So no real chance to chat while driving plus I like to concentrate when driving got enough points on my licence :D

Cheers Bill
joe jeep
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:22 pm
CB Handle: Joe-Jeep
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex

Purpose built power supplies are good, but i found an ac to dc transformer for a cool box, which has a cigarette socket built in , all my radios have ciggie plugs so, whack it in and off you go. Just need to get a bracket to hold my swr meter when at home, Yes I know people say you shouldn't leave it in line it reduces power, but for the satisfaction that if anything goes wrong you can spot it instantly i would rather lose a bit of power, anyway once i have the bracket (might have to make one) will some post some piccies in the gallery, keep an eye out for them in the next few weeks.

Cheers
Joseph
Handle:Joe-Jeep
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex.
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.
User avatar
rock steady
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:03 pm
CB Handle: Rock Steady

i wouldnot use a ciggy plug if i was you. as some radios draw a little too much current and with no hard wired connections and the julting of the vehical , may cause excessive fuse blowing for no reason, may even cause protection diode to burn up or even take out other components...connections should be done with either lego blocks or crimp on terminals
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

cig plugs would work fine just make sure it is a good quality one the ones with the red and black tops do not give bother unless yo are trying to get 15 amps out

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 pm
CB Handle: Guzzy
Location: England

billathome65 wrote: ... what is a good antenna at a low price as the lower number of users was something I was worried about.

Cheers Bill
You can spend silly money if you fancy it, like £130 for a Sirio Gainmaster, but I would suggest a nice simple 5/8 wave 'silver rod' (£33) to start with.
Post Reply