Maycom EM-27

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Post Reply
Airwolf
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:43 am

Hi,

I believe I have one of the first Maycom EM-27 radios from 1997 (PCB revision marking: APR 28.97 REV 5), when it first became legal, etc and I have a question about the subsequent revisions of this radio over the years.

I decided to return to CB after over a decade and looked up the EM-27 out of idle curiosity on the net. To my horror, I learned about the dreaded battery leak problem in the early motherboard revisions. I opened it up to find the Varta memory backup battery had grown a huge crystalline beard but (thankfully) no acid leak whatsoever on to the PCB (phew!). Fired it up and it works fine and intend to change the battery soon. My next thought was what else is up with the early revisions of EM-27? I have read the mic switch leads issue and carbon build up on the switches but is there anywhere where I can see what improvements and changes have been made to the radio over the years (aside from being green backlit)? Aware the radio is no longer in production and know there are mods to open up the frequency range, but really looking for the list of manufacturer changes if poss.

A
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Hi Airwolf,

That is lucky [-o< I have seen quite a few of those die because of leaky batteries :?

We never imported that radio so we don't have a list of changes, however I can tell you they replaced the battery with a 0.22 Farad capacitor in the later ones to prevent the leakage.

Andy :wink:
Airwolf
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:43 am

Ah, apologies. That is useful though on the cap.

Thanks!
Post Reply