A reborn CB user

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Post Reply
User avatar
Paff
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:22 pm

As I said in my introduction, I have used CB from the 70s (AM :lol: ) through to the mid 80s, when I got my Amateur licence. Just lately I fancied getting a CB and I have now bought a Polmar Venus CB radio. I know it is multi band and that in theory, being in the UK you should be using the UK FM bands, but does anyone 'stray' off onto the AM bands?

Also things have changed regarding CB and from listening on the UK FM bands, I hear very few 'breakers', but quite a few non English speaking users, this I assume is the way it is now.

Questions:

1) Is there many people using CB radio now?

2) Is the breaking channel 14 still used or is it just 19 now?

3) I assume that channel 9 is still the emergency channel, but not monitored actively.

4) Do people still 'eyeball' and have meetings?

Just trying to ease back into CB radio and don't want to make myself look a spanner :?

Steve
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

To be honest CB has changed a bit over the years, and I'll try and answer your questions as best I can!

1) There obviously aren't as many as in the 80's when it was booming, but there are still quite a few breakers around. The best thing to do is have a look at our user map here... http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-user-map.html

2) It is just 19 now in most areas.

3) Yes that is the case.

4) Yes, but again not as often as 'back in the day!'. In fact I have been emailing a chap today who had an eyeball yesterday.

Andy :wink:
User avatar
Paff
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks for your answers....

What about these...

1) I know it is multi band and that in theory, being in the UK you should be using the UK FM bands, but does anyone 'stray' off onto the AM bands?

2) Also things have changed regarding CB and from listening on the UK FM bands, I hear very few 'breakers', but quite a few non English speaking users, this I assume is the way it is now.
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

1) Since June this year AM is legal to use in the UK (only on new radios), so a few users are starting to take up AM now.

2) It depends where you are, it can differ in different parts on the UK. It could even be 'skip' coming over from Europe.

Andy :wink:
User avatar
Paff
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:22 pm

As I have a new CB radio, the way I understand it, if I am in the UK I must use the UK band. If I used the EU band and use the AM freq I am breaking the regulations??
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Yep, legally speaking that is true :D

Andy :wink:
Post Reply