Bit confused with the new AM, SSB etc

General Chat - one nine for a roger!
Post Reply
S109
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Hello,

Haven't been on here for a while and since then I know they've legalised AM & SSB but before I order a President Grant I'm bit unsure of a few things :oops: .

So before this happened it was legal to use 4w on FM only correct ? What about AM ? my intek has an AM button ?

Is the SSB and AM still the same channels ? Just changing the modulation. UK or CEPT channels ?

Sorry if there obvious but I'm not 100% sure on understanding it. I've got some other questions but once I know the above it might clear up the others :oops:
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Hello,

Your Intek has an AM button as it is probably multi-channel for use around Europe. So the AM would have only been legal in the countries that allow it. As the UK added AM after your radio was approved, it would technically not be legal to use it on AM in the UK.

It was 4w FM only before (UK and CEPT channels).

Now they have added AM and SSB modulation on the CEPT channels (4w AM, 12w SSB).

Hopefully this explains it all :)

Andy :wink:
S109
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Thankyou. So something like the President Grant II I can legally transmit on,

UK FM channels at 4w
Cept FM channels at 4w
And 12w ssb but only on cept channels ?

Any others ?

So for dx'ing from the UK I'd select ssb cept channels ?

Local work would be UK FM ?

What about AM ?

Thanks :oops:
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Yes that it right, and like I say they have added AM and SSB modulation on the CEPT channels (4w AM, 12w SSB).

Andy :wink:
S109
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Thank you.
Post Reply