Hello all
Just set up my rig in my trusty old Nissan Patrol for 4x4 duties. Spent a whole weekend stripping out interior panels to fit my unit in the dash, layout my power cables neatly through bulkhead to the battery and my antenna lead to my gutter mount. Did everything by the book (I think) keeping my unit off until installation was complete.
With regards to the gutter mount, I removed all layers of paint to bare metal to get a good ground. I checked this with my multimeter and got a re-zero from stainless mount body to bare metal gutter and checked from gutter mount to door piller lock hinge which is bolted through body work, again getting a re-zero reading, both these readings showing I had continuity. I also checked my outer and inner PL259 connector I soldered to shorten my antenna cable to prove nothing shorting out and "No continuity" so all fine there.
Now I have a Nissei RS27 SWR meter, wanted this for its discreet size and I can mount it anywhere easily with velcro. Checked my 50cm patch cable also and all fine there. I get a reading of just under 3 on channel 20 and on channels 1 & 40 I get around 2.5. I have the meter set to SWR when I check this.
I went to a nice open area to do this which was quite elevated and it didn't improve. My concern is I can't hear anyone on any channels, drove to work this morning on M61 motorway and got no response, tried numerous times on channel 19 and scanned for any response for my half hour journey.
My rig is a President Harry III (a present) and bought myself a Thunderpole Orbiter, gue one with a base & mid-coil, so a decent antenna.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Johhny
Not having much luck....not receiving anything..?
sorry the meter reading does not look right it should dip on ch 20 with 1 and 40 being higher not as it is reading as you say where 1 and 40 are higher than 20 just use 1 on mid band and 40 on uk if its higer on 40 uk then shorten slightly and keep going till both are under 2 or read the same on both channels plus make sure you are useing the swr meter correctly as per the instructions
plus i have deleted you other identical post as it would only confuse Andy

plus i have deleted you other identical post as it would only confuse Andy
if it anit broke dont fix it
- andy@thunderpole.co.uk
- Site Admin
- Posts: 1142
- Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
- Location: Northampton
- Contact:
I am easily confused
What band do you have it set on Johnny?
Andy
What band do you have it set on Johnny?
Andy


