After reading some postings, I find that CB is slowly growing again in some locations in the UK. As I said in an early comment posted on another section, I hope the new CBers are not foul mouthed like in the 1970/80s.
That is what killed Cb along with Mobile phones. What you have to look at, is that it is a Hobby, and as any other hobby, it needs to be nurtured. Then it will grow.
If we want to move forward, I think that a proper call-sign and a register may work. A bit like armature radio, with rules to follow. I think handles are so 70s/80s, and like sheep we followed the USA into this, watching Smokey and the bandit and Dukes of Hazzard ect.
How many of us know how the Cb works, and even what wavelength it is on?. The connection between SWR and Antenna and radio? Notice I did not say RIG, or TWIG. Maybe a little knowledge is a good thing, and learning how it works makes it more interesting.. Yes I know that Buzby has gone, but who now controls the airwaves and radio spectrum?. Its the same organisation , who control and issue licences to radio operators, from amateurs to construction companies.
This is not to say if you have a callsign, you cannot chat, its just than you are identified and responsible for you actions on the air. I think this is more relevant now we have multi channeled CB Radios, which are capable of been used in European Union.
DP
New CBers welcome
-
needle bender
- Motor Mouth!

- Posts: 441
- Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 am
Hi there. As one who was into cb radio pre legal UK FM, I disagree with your ideas regarding a more formal cb radio service with official call signs etc. If that is what you want become an amateur radio enthusiast! CB radio is an informal service...I like the idea of handles, and being anonymous...My own handle was imposed upon me back in the early days as I was originally one of those DV 27 on a biscuit tin types trying to push out 100 watts....Yep, I was wiping out everyone in my vicinity! Turn that burner off, fellow cb’ers would yell, you’re bending my needle!! I was eventually cured after blowing the finals on a few radios....No, I like my cb’ing to be easy going....I still occasionally use the 10 code...and I’m more than likely to use a few Anglo Saxon words, though not with malice...If I get wound up I switch off. 
-
airfixpilot01
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 7:06 pm
Yo Needle Bender.
CB Rage right?, yep its see who can get the most power out and wipe the channel, with enough WATTS to blanket out other users on other channels, followed by the almighty ROGER BLEEP. Not forgetting the power mike and burners. Its a bit like road rage without the window open.
This in My opinion is were CB got its bad name in the 70/80s, and led to a decline. I am not pointing fingers, but it was unfair to users who in the hobby, just wanted to make contact, and chat. I seem to remember that a Licence came into force for £10-£12 a year , but as usual , regulations went to the side and users just kept on using without Licence. As I said on a post, that Cb was starting back again, just hope it will not got back to abusive foul mouth users. Maybe a little understanding and thought, before you/we transmit, and a little knowledge of radio would not go amiss. maybe self policing would not go amiss either.
Airfixpilot
CB Rage right?, yep its see who can get the most power out and wipe the channel, with enough WATTS to blanket out other users on other channels, followed by the almighty ROGER BLEEP. Not forgetting the power mike and burners. Its a bit like road rage without the window open.
This in My opinion is were CB got its bad name in the 70/80s, and led to a decline. I am not pointing fingers, but it was unfair to users who in the hobby, just wanted to make contact, and chat. I seem to remember that a Licence came into force for £10-£12 a year , but as usual , regulations went to the side and users just kept on using without Licence. As I said on a post, that Cb was starting back again, just hope it will not got back to abusive foul mouth users. Maybe a little understanding and thought, before you/we transmit, and a little knowledge of radio would not go amiss. maybe self policing would not go amiss either.
Airfixpilot
Hi Needle bender,
Yes i agree with your comments about foul mouthed users and abusers on Cb, but it is a sad point of fact that you will get these types of moron in every walk of life, especially in this generation. And yes, i did kill Cb along with mobile phones, but the beauty is that we have now got very clear bands, albeit quite, which is what i prefer.
Yes i agree with your comments about foul mouthed users and abusers on Cb, but it is a sad point of fact that you will get these types of moron in every walk of life, especially in this generation. And yes, i did kill Cb along with mobile phones, but the beauty is that we have now got very clear bands, albeit quite, which is what i prefer.
-
cookoff013
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:20 pm
New to cb
Doubt ill do any silly stuff.
Doubt ill do any silly stuff.
erm, i dont have a clue what i`m doing. i`m winging it. hope no-one notices....
