UK frequencies

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring
Post Reply
Legsz1
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am

I am a complete newbie to citizens band radio, and I am trying to get my head around frequencies, is the UK AM frequency different to EU frequency, and if so do I need a rig that is suited to the UK? Note I am not interested in FM.
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Hi there,

There are two frequency bands available to use in the UK, the UK 40 channel band, and the EU 40 channel band.

On the UK 40 channels you are only able to use FM, but on the EU channels you can use AM or FM.

All the radios Thunderpole sell have both bands and AM/FM capability, I hope this answers your question.

Andy.
Legsz1
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am

Hi Andy
Thank you so will that mean that any one on AM in UK would be using CEPT?
Regards Alan
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Yes they should be.

Andy.
Legsz1
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am

Cheers Andy
Legsz1
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am

I still can't get my head around this, so is there any difference between the old AM we had back in 70s and the AM we have now?
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Nope, the frequencies are exactly the same (26.965 - 27.405Mhz) however any old AM sets aren't legal to use, as they weren't approved after AM was legalised in the UK.

Hope this helps.
Andy
Legsz1
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am

Cheers Andy would that explain why I can't seem to get out as well as we used to back then, or should these new rigs do just as well, back then we used to stick a dv 27 on a biscuit tin swr it and get out about 20 miles sometimes.
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

New radios should work better than the old ones, better filtering, better sensitivity, etc. There are a lot more variables than just SWR though, location, antenna, conditions, etc.
Legsz1
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am

Thank you Andy think I know what I need to do now.
Post Reply