Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence

A place for new members to say hello
Post Reply
User avatar
Majorpain
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:19 pm
CB Handle: MANIAC
Location: Cardiff

I do have a problem my swr meter seems to be broken and I can’t receive anything except static does a roof rack affect my mag mount aerial
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is also smile it might never happen
User avatar
Hair Bear
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Hi, you say returning after a long absence, are you using your original kit?
One person in ten understands binary. The other one doesn't. :wink:
User avatar
Majorpain
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:19 pm
CB Handle: MANIAC
Location: Cardiff

Yes I have an old alba
With a little mag mount aerial I am not getting anything except static it’s almost like there’s no one there


I bought a new thunderpole 2000 with an airial and had the same issue so I sent it back and am now trying to figure out why my original kit won’t work
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is also smile it might never happen
User avatar
Hair Bear
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Unfortunately without someone to confirm your set up is working it's difficult to know what you're working with.
I'm sure there have been others in your area on this forum within the last 12 months so don't give up hope yet.
If the set up is mobile then the obvious thing to do is just leave it on wherever you are and just call and listen - especially if you can get to high ground. If everyone listens and nobody calls then the assumption is no-one is there!
Apart from farms in this area it seems there is only two of us that communicate regularly but every so often a new voice appears.
One person in ten understands binary. The other one doesn't. :wink:
User avatar
Majorpain
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:19 pm
CB Handle: MANIAC
Location: Cardiff

I’m thinking about going back to my ham international concord 2 with k40 set up but that’s not leagal is it?
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is also smile it might never happen
User avatar
Hair Bear
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Erm... I've no idea!
Hopefully someone on here will know.
One person in ten understands binary. The other one doesn't. :wink:
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

No not legal, but we've not heard of anyone ever getting caught using one of those :)
User avatar
Majorpain
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:19 pm
CB Handle: MANIAC
Location: Cardiff

Ok I have now bought a thunder pole t2000 and an orbiter antenna how do I get AM on it?
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is also smile it might never happen
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

To use AM you need to set the radio to a band that allows AM, such as the EU band.

To select EU band:

1)Turn OFF the radio.
2)Whilst pressing the F and MEM buttons together, turn on the power using the ON/OFF/VOLUME Control.
3)Use the Channel Selector or UP and Down buttons to select the EU band.
4)Turn the radio off and then on again, now the display will show the EU band, and you can use 'Mode' button to switch between FM and AM.

Andy :wink:
Post Reply