Page 1 of 3
K40
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:26 am
by mr p!e
Is this worth the money or can anyone recommend an alternative?

Re: K40
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:01 am
by stampman
Re: K40
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:00 pm
by Road_Hog
Just looked at the price on the Thunderpole website, that Wilson is a mighty expensive antenna for a mobile whip with integrated magmount.
Re: K40
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:04 pm
by porky.69
BUY CHEAP ...BUY TWICE

Re: K40
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:04 pm
by mpcapri
This was the mobile aerial to have in the 80’s, always wanted a K40 as a kid and said one day I’ll own one.
20 years on and now own one (also wanted a Rolls Royce as a kid but that’ll have to wait until next year

)
Purchased from Thunderpole
Unfortunately can’t tell you how good or bad it performs because I have never tried it, the cement mixer does not make a very good ground-plain
Mart
Re: K40
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:54 pm
by porky.69
yes the k40 antenna was all the rage when i started cb radio too and even now they still hold there price

Re: K40
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:14 pm
by Haggis
I've had three K40;s and broke them all

.....but I did abuse them offroading.
Must say tho, that they had fantastic range, and I liked the fact that you could unscrew the antenna from the magmount (for security).
Re: K40
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:06 pm
by disgwylfa
Way back in "De Olden Daze" (pre CB 27/81) I used to have a K40 and mag mount and I too liked the " unscrew the antenna from the magmount (for security) " feature. . . . right up until some toe-rag cut the cable and nicked the mag mount.
After that was replaced It was always a case of remembering to put the mag mount in the boot whenever parked.
I use a mag mount now, and still do the in-the-boot bit whenever parked so the lesson lasted a long time.
Re: K40
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:24 pm
by stampman
Re: K40
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:55 am
by Road_Hog
What makes you say that. Surely the coax shouldn't make any difference.
Re: K40
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:39 am
by stampman
Re: K40
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:38 pm
by Road_Hog
Changing the coax shouldn't adjust the swr, this must just be fooling the meter?
Re: K40
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:38 pm
by stampman
Re: K40
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:53 am
by hotmetal1000
coax lenght can change swr readings normally only ever so slightly. If the swr is going out big time with differant coax lenghts than I would say the K40 has some other design problem.
Re: K40
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:21 am
by stampman