Page 1 of 1

how do I get a SWR reading lower?

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:47 pm
by Gaz w
Quite new to cb so not really sure what Im doing yet ,I need to get an swr reading lower so im told , It is a mobile set up using a sirio 4000 hi power antenna and a gutter mount and the swr is reading about 1.6 ,Ive tried lowering the antenna ,and scraping some paint away where the allan screws screw onto the gutter so there is good metal to metal contact but the reading wont drop below 1.6 on channel 20 , c40 it is higher and on c1 it is the same .
On my old set up using a cheapo magmount the swr was something like 1.0 without having to touch anything

so any tips on how to get the swr reading lower please?

cheeRS

Re: how do I get a SWR reading lower?

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:21 pm
by stampman
if its higher on ch 40 than 1 take a bit off the antenna remembering once you have cut it you cant stick it back on


*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: how do I get a SWR reading lower?

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:33 pm
by Gaz w
when you say a "bit" how much are we talking 10,20,30 mm?

Re: how do I get a SWR reading lower?

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:15 am
by stampman
try a small amount and see what it does if you can lift it up by loosening the grub screw to the original length then you should be ok

*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: how do I get a SWR reading lower?

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:19 pm
by pastyman
10 mm way to much. stick to small amounts like 3mm at a time

remember you can always take more off but not add it on 8) 8)