Page 1 of 1

Hello from South Wales

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:07 pm
by roadpilot
Hi all - I'm an Abnormal Load Escorter based in South Wales. CB was big when I was in my teens - I (had) installed an CB into my Escort vehicle for comms with Abloads I escort (especially good for rolling starts/finishes). If I leave the CB on between jobs, all I seem to hear is bad language which is a shame.
I also have 5 iCOM PMR radios to hand if the truck has no CB (or its u/s!) or when we also have a Police escort.
Who are the main CB users these days - truckers, leisure, hobby.... ?

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:16 am
by stampman
hi and welcome to the forum we have all sorts of users on cb if its got wheels,tracks or floats then there is someone who uses cb

*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:06 pm
by madfish
Hello and welcome

South wales is home for me, currently only actually spend half the week there though

I have got cb mainly for Offroading, but use it for coms where ever.Find it useful in motorway jams not that i use motorways much though

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:54 pm
by karlfrancis
Hi Folks,

I'm from Llantwit Major originaly but now live and work in Swansea.

I recently bought a rig with the intention of putting it into my catering trailer. As the trialer is not up and running yet I thought I'd try it out in the car. I've had a rig on and off over the last 28yrs or so but with BIG gaps inbetween.

It does seem very quiet on the the CB and yes I agree, the swearing is a pain, (and I'm in the Army)!!

Whereabouts are you guys from?

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:45 am
by woodbine
Hi there, I am also in South Wales. New to CB radio and its a bit quiet so far. I am in Barry and a few of us go on in the mornings. I am about 2 weeks into it, and heres how and why....I am aged 31, unemployed and trying to learn a skill. I decided to learn electronics as its always been a fascination of mine. Nothing radio related at first, but eventually I started building circuits and looked at making a little homemade FM reciever. Anyway my girlfriends Gramps is a 30 year CB rig-doctor expert and knows his stuff....He gave me my first radio about 2 weeks ago - BROKEN! and said "I know whats wrong with it but you want to learn so here you go!" I found a blown Power transistor within a day and he then gave me a load of stuff he no longer uses. Radios, Power supplies, 26 ft antena! So thats how I got involved. More a hobby and learning resource. I have spent more time fixing and fault finding than talking but its a big reward when I hear that call come back through!

Anyway sorry for the long post....my email is raser.13@hotmail.com and I'm in Barry. Would like to get more people on the radio so give me a shout. Ben (Call name is ''Aprentice'' thats what Gramps and his crew call me)

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:41 pm
by browning525
Newport based here, getting back into cb radios after a few years off. Mobile 4x4 once I can get that fecking swr down lol

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:54 pm
by porky.69
welcome to the forum *King*

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:20 pm
by needle bender
I used to get many copies into south Wales when dx'ing from Carn Brea, which is an iron age hill fort near Redruth in Cornwall..and on occasions Eire also...They were a great old Celtic get together....Must try again sometime :)

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:24 pm
by Cactusjack1879
Hello all" . I'm in merthyr tydfil and have just pulled out two of my old rigs from the late 80s. I bought a new antenna and away to go. I had a roger the first day but nothing since. Also got a (other company) master handheld and put it on now and then with nothing ........ Nobody out there it seems.

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 pm
by ScoobyDoo
Hi, I'm from Bargoed in the Caerphilly Borough (Rhymney Valley to us older ones....lol). New to all this, although tried to dabble when I was a kid with my friends cb setup. Maybe we'll talk sometime, fellow Welshies....

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:53 pm
by Cactusjack1879
Hello all. I've set my homebase up with old school harrier cbx and silver rod antenna and it;s surprising how many breakers are in the south wales area and i'm hearing breakers from Cardiff and Bristol. The old cb ing seems to be coming back....... :)

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:12 am
by Redneck
Hello!
I'm in Pembrokeshire West Wales, if you are ever in the area, try give me a shout on Ch. 19!!! See a lot of wide load trucks heading to caravn parks in the area.

Re: Hello from South Wales

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:09 pm
by AppleTree
Hello!

I'm a hobbiest, loads of us are too!