Page 1 of 1

Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:55 pm
by mayates76
Hi.

Just bought and fitted a Midland 98 Plus using (other company) Mag Mount aerial. All great except for when I move my steering wheel I get a lot of interference. Only way to cure is to turn the squelch right up to almost maxumim. I am powering through cigarette lighter socket.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mark.

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:03 pm
by Eviltwin
What car have you got?

It doesn't use electrically powered steering does it by any chance?

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:24 pm
by mayates76
Hi.

Its a 2002 Renault Laguna 1.9 Dci. The power steering pump is belt driven. Thats why I dont understand the interference.

Would an inline suppressor solve this problem?

Thanks.

Mark.

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:44 pm
by Eviltwin
A suppressor can't harm.

I'm unable to use the 98+ in my CR-V at the same time as my TomTom as the charger causes big time noise. May just be a Midland thing.

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:20 pm
by mayates76
Thanks for your help. Its only whenever I turn my wheel which is obviously quite often.

Mark.

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:51 pm
by madfish
Wouldnt be surprised if there was some fly-by-wire stuff incorporated as well as the normal steering linkage, not quite sure how you'd solve that. Would the antenna cable be near that area of the wiring?

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:39 am
by stampman
the only question is where would you fit the suppressor as they have to go on the part that is causing the interferance

*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:10 pm
by madfish
That could get interesting, if it is fly by wire steering I personally wouldnt go playing around with it, even though there'll mechanical main system

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:51 pm
by mayates76
The interference happens even with the engine not running and with absolute minimal wheel movement. Think it the steering wheel angle sensor for the ESP system. Have turned the ESP off but snag still there. I have unplugged the aerial and the interference goes away. So I know its not power related. Very annoying though as the only way to get rid of it is ti turn squelch up to about 80%. Annoying as hell.

Mark.

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:55 am
by stampman
can you make sure the sensor is earthed if it is mounted in plastic or robber you could try an earthing strap

*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 am
by mayates76
Its a right bar steward to get at and all plastic. Surely it should be earthed already? Will investigate and give it a go. Will post findings.

Thanks Again.

Mark.

Re: Noise from Power Steering?

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:37 pm
by stampman
if its all plastic then grounding the body might sort thr problen



*King* *King* *King* *King*