Page 1 of 1

New to this Craic..

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:44 pm
by Lecky
Hey I'm Lecky and as you can see I'm new to this craic.... Live in NI and a few of my mates have CBs so I was planning on joining the club...

Just wondering the best way to attach an antenna (probably a 1.55m Orbitor) to a MK 4 Golf. I wasn't planning on putting a hole in my car or using a mag mount either was thinking a boot or hatch mount on the back right of the boot not the full way at the top cause of the way the boot opens it would just whack off the car. Any help greatly appreciated (I may have to resort to a mag so I'm not ruling it out but a friend had bad experiences with his and I'd be on the motorway a lot)

Lecky :P

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:54 pm
by joe jeep
I wouldn't worry about a mag, i use one from the late 80's that hadn't been used for years, it's 6" with a modulator (1.65m) on it and i have had it up to 90mph in the rain, um I mean 77mph. He He

Cheers
Joseph

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:12 pm
by Lecky
Cool I'll take note of that.
Where is the like button on this site for liking replies?? lol

Lecky :P

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:33 am
by stampman
if you use a mag go for the wilson 1000 very expensive but will not move at speed and not rust as they are galvanised plus the antenna is a 5/8 wave as opposed to 1/4 wave which most of the other antenna are

*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:36 pm
by porky.69
WELCOME :D

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:06 pm
by Lecky
Does the Wilson 1000 antenna come with the mag attached to it?

Lecky :P

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:14 pm
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Welcome to the forum, and yes the Wilson 1000 comes with the magnet.

Andy :wink:

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:35 pm
by Lecky
Im only a student like and my loan aint come in yet... lol.
I reckon I'll start small and build my way up to the Wilson but thanks for the advice anyway.
As to mounting an antenna on my car... Just smack right in the middle of the roof with a mag mount then...

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:04 am
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
:D :D Yep, they're not cheap! :shock: :shock:

I must admit, you do get what you pay for though...

Middle of the roof is the best idea for the most omnidirectional signal (transmitting the same in every direction).

Andy :wink:

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:54 pm
by Guzzy
andy@thunderpole.co.uk wrote: for the most omnidirectional signal (transmitting the same in every direction).
Look at you and your fancy words.

Lardy blooming dah. :lol:

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:30 am
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Sorry! I get geeky when explaining things sometimes!

To make it a bit simpler to understand, here is a simple formula showing the useful relationship between omnidirectional radiation pattern directivity (D) in decibels and half-power beamwidth (HPBW);

Image

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Andy :wink:

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:37 am
by stampman
yeh right ok i've got a headache

*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: New to this Craic..

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:47 pm
by Lecky
Well shes ordered now... Lets hope shes here before the weekend... Convinced a mate to get one too... lol

Lecky :P