Page 1 of 1

Better antenna

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:45 pm
by UnderCover Runner
Got a Cobra 19DX IV EU of ebay a while back and it came with a SWR Antenna. Only can get 2 mile range if that.
What would be the best antenna to get for a small car (Seat Ibiza) rather have a mag mount the start drilling holes in the roof!

Thanks in advance

Dom

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 pm
by porky.69
hi dom, i use the sirio 4000 but there a large antenna, take a look at the antenna section on the thunderpole shop ......i also like the red thunder antenna *King*

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:20 pm
by Guzzy
Unfortunately, if you want decent range, you have to go for a longer antenna.

Look on the bright side, if you choose one that is less than 9ft (2.74m), you are running an antenna that is actually smaller than it 'wants' to be.

There you go. Those 5.5ft (1.6m) antennas don't look so bad now, do they!? :lol:

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:25 pm
by UnderCover Runner
Just had a proper look. Thinking of the Orbiter HD Centre load.

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:29 pm
by Guzzy
I've got a few different antennas, but the one I run most often is the TZ27. It's cheap and cheerful and for a long(ish) antenna it's surprisingly discreet due to the small loading coil.

Image

It works OK for me.

I run a Les Wallen Modulator (Voyager) if I mean 'business'. :lol:

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:41 pm
by stampman
wilson 1000 is a super antenna

*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:13 pm
by UnderCover Runner
Cheers guys! :D :D :D

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:56 pm
by porky.69
stampman wrote:wilson 1000 is a super antenna

*King* *King* *King* *King*
another very good antenna *King*

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:28 pm
by joe jeep
I use a modulator now the voyager and have had some good results. What's the TZ27 like?

Cheers
Joseph

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:54 pm
by Guzzy
joe jeep wrote:I use a modulator now the voyager and have had some good results. What's the TZ27 like?

Cheers
Joseph
It works just fine. I like it because the coil is relatively small and discrete and the whip kind of disappears at a distance.

The Modulator has a mahoosive loading coil that just screams CB RADIO!!! :lol:

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:50 pm
by Laurie
I just wondered how different the Modulator was in comparison to the TP Red Devil?

I am aware that 1 is made in Kent and the other in Birmingham but wonder if there are any differences in performance?

Discuss

Re: Better antenna

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:41 pm
by LulaNord
Hi...i am a new user here. i think if you want decent range, you have to go for a longer antenna.Look on the bright side, if you choose one that is less than 9ft (2.74m), you are running an antenna that is actually smaller than it 'wants' to be.