Getting started in Amateur Radio.

General amateur radio advice and troubleshooting
Post Reply
Home Guard
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello,

I've been using my scanner to recieve conversations from a local radio club and I was thinking of getting started in the hobby itself.
I've researched the club and they offer the foundation course, etc.

But before I go any deeper and book a course I was wondering how much it would cost for a decent basic radio.
I would be operating from home so I imagine that a mobile radio hooked up to a small dipole antenna would be most cost effective, is this right?
And are there any manufacturers that I should avoid? I've been searching the web and alot of chinese kit pops up, which I'm very dubious of.

And could someone explain the benefits of each band? I'm finding it really difficult to find this sort of info on the internet.

Thanks guys. :D
User avatar
porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: wolverhampton, uk

hi i use a home made center fed di pole for 40 meters and it works very well.
what band are you interested in and where are you in the uk *King*
Home Guard
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm in North Norfolk.

I was thinking about using 2m as the equipment seems to cheaper and widely available.

I'm not sure on the other bands. I know nothing of HAM.

Thanks :D
User avatar
porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: wolverhampton, uk

amateur radio can be very expensive if you let it be theres plenty of good radios out there without spending big money :D
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

yes it can be fun but its the same as any other form of interface you get good radio hams and some who think they have god's given right to the air waves just because they made the foundation exam easier and you don't have to learn Morse you haven't put the sweat and tears into it but thats life not expensive to do and will open up another world entirely so good luck



*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: wolverhampton, uk

very well said stampman =D>
cdaw
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: West Drayton, UB7

How many users are there in CB compared to Ham?
Amateur call sign: M6UCW
Uniden USC230 , Baofeng UV-5R , Yaesu FT-7900 , Icom IC-207H , CS700
Find me on GB3AL, GB3HR & GB7NS (DMR) and scanning many others
Also scanning VHF, UHF & DMR simplex frequencies
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

there are definitely more radio hams than cb'ers because it has been going a lot longer



*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
cdaw
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: West Drayton, UB7

Are there any estimates on users around London or the UK?
I'm trying to decide if I head off and get a CB radio or head to a amateur radio club.
I'd prefer CB as it sounds less complicated but this depends on if there are people to connect with.
Amateur call sign: M6UCW
Uniden USC230 , Baofeng UV-5R , Yaesu FT-7900 , Icom IC-207H , CS700
Find me on GB3AL, GB3HR & GB7NS (DMR) and scanning many others
Also scanning VHF, UHF & DMR simplex frequencies
User avatar
porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: wolverhampton, uk

cb radio is more fun :?
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

if you decide to go ham the you can use several programs through the computer to start you off


*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
RedBaron
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:11 pm

It all depends what you want to get out of the hobby, do you want local chit chat or to work dx?
RadioValve
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:14 pm
Location: Longboat Key, Fl.

Did you ever take the plunge and go into ham radio?

I'm a ham operator and collector of vintage ham radios so I totally understand where your coming from. Why not get involved with both? I would comsider an older HF model omce you get licensed and if your handy with a soldering iron there are many used rigs at decent prices.

Some good names in ham radio:

Kenwood - quality radios, new or old
Yaesu - old models are as good as the new ones
Icom - I'm not a fan
Elekraft - pricey but excellent
Ten-Tac - older radios are much better constructed than todays
Heathkit - depending who built it, nice radio to start with
Swan - save your money
Gonset- great if you find one in decent shape
Collins - excellent, very expensive and hard to find parts
Post Reply