CB near Southport

A place for new members to say hello
Post Reply
stormy54
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:38 am
CB Handle: stormbringer
Location: Lancashire

Hi
Like some others, I have moved house, looked in the loft and found...
AM Midland 150m
Ham MultiMode 2
plus others.

After pinching a P/S from and old computer, blowing dust off aerials and SWR meter I can hear nothing but static.
I now just need time to jury rig in the garage with a metal roof ground plane. Fingers crossed, later this evening I hope.
Hope to catch someone on the "flip flop" I'll try the old breaker channels, 19 and 27.

stormbringer
2tone
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Good luck, seems very quiet on ere
stormy54
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:38 am
CB Handle: stormbringer
Location: Lancashire

Very quiet, the channels seem quiet too, so much so I was doubting the radio was working. I will try both tomorrow, one to the other. I moved out of the loft thinking that maybe the cause.Looking at the user map, the country looks swamped, but no one there. I don't have the new UK FM only the old CB days ones. Maybe that is, need to check the frequencies.

Later

stormy
2tone
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:50 pm

TBH

I do find it odd that it is soooo quiet, when you consider how much old rigs and accessories are fetching on E Bay for example?

Doubt it’s your rig, as the frequencies will be the same as the newer ones.

Just think it is quiet, which is a shame.
stormy54
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:38 am
CB Handle: stormbringer
Location: Lancashire

It's quiet, yeah too quiet.
Not heard a soul, might leave it on in the garage whilst working around tomorrow, kinda monitor it all day, failing that I will not be buying a new aerial or rig, as you say a pity, times was you couldn't find a channel to talk on, now with the International using AM / FM, Lo / Mid / Hi and USB - LSB should hear something, will try the 2 rigs tomorrow talking to each other.
Oh well, 10 - 10 as they say.
:(
Cactusjack1879
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi. Like you I too pulled my old rigs out! Couldn't hear anything on am and only the odd one on uk fm ..............until I bought a homebase antenna a silver rod from thunderpole. What a difference! I can hear a few (not many) on AM and loads on the fm.
stormy54
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:38 am
CB Handle: stormbringer
Location: Lancashire

I'm a bit loath to buy a new aerial( tight!) if there is nothing there. I will go back and try again, weekend job probably.
Thanks for the reply and information
:lol:
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

cb is alive and well in preston and leyland the channel they use is 38 not the pld 27 tha we switched to in about 1980 so good luck


*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: wolverhampton, uk

welcome :wink:
stormy54
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:38 am
CB Handle: stormbringer
Location: Lancashire

Hi

Thanks StampMan for the headsup with Leyland and Preston, Ch 28, is that AM (old or new) FM, I used the "old" AM and USB, but not for a while, so I will give it shot.

Stormy
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

HI

THAT IS FM AND THEY DO USE SSB AS WELL AT TIMES


*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Post Reply