Page 1 of 1
Advice Please
Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:50 am
by Robbo
Hi,
I've had my old rig in my wagon for quite a fews now and shes served me well but I think its finally time to send her to CB heaven and go for something a little newer!
Anyone got any advice on which radios are best??
I have approx £100 to spend....
Cheers,
Jeff
Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:10 pm
by Basilsparents
Anything Midland is very reliable...
I am personally a Midland fan... the midland 38, although basic, is everything you want in a CB...

Depends whether you WANT to spend 100, or 100 is the top limit, as I would recommend a slightly cheaper rig with less features. But there you go: I'm old fashioned
Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:04 pm
by Robbo
Thanks BP.
I really wanted to spend no more than £100 top limit.
I was looking at the Intek M790, does anyone know if these rigs are any good.
Jeff
Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:09 pm
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Hi Jeff,
The Intek radios have been really reliable for us, we've sold quite a few now with hardly any problems.
And with the built-in speech processor, in my opinion gives it the edge over the Midland radios.
Andy

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:51 pm
by Round Baler
I thought I new my stuff about CB's but I have been proved wrong as I do not know what the built-in speech processer is!
Any help?
- Gordon
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:16 pm
by Basilsparents
Don't know to be honest... I still rake 20 year old Yorks off Ebay
Oh, and whilst we're on the subject... anyone know if a squelch that doesn't work (in effect continuous white noise) Can be cured by a ton of switch cleaner?
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:12 am
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
The Speech Processor basically cleans up the signal (on TX and RX) to make it alot clearer, therefore effectively giving you a better range.
We have tested one on our test antenna here and have quite easily got 30 miles+
As regards to your squelch problem BP, i doubt that switch cleaner would work in this instance. Normally if you have a dirty squelch control you cannot get any white noise, not the other way around.
Andy

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:57 am
by Basilsparents
Yum, I like the sound of that speech processor

Maybe when I get myself my first wages from this new job...
(THEME PARKS PAY SLAVE LABOUR WAGES!!)
i've always liked
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:54 pm
by breaker 19
i've always liked the midland 48 Very good cb
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:16 pm
by Bodger
I am a Midland man too, I have had CBs with all bells and whistles on but at the end of the day while on the move you need a basic reliable rig.
I now use a Midland 98 Plus thats been tweaked a little and a small RM linear amp.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:11 pm
by stampman
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:12 am
by fatfinger
when i use the sp button on my intek
it makes a massive change to the audio, it really does pull in weak signals and clean them up also
i would deff buy a intek anyday