Back on after 24 years

A place for new members to say hello
Post Reply
User avatar
Tommygunn
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Hi
Just dug out a cb and mag mount I was given a few years ago and fitted it in my car.
As a teenager I was regularly on the cb during the mid 90s mostly using it as a means to talk with friends prior to mobile phones etc.
Obviously I’m really rusty and have been reading guides on tuning my antenna and checking my power output, then doing it.

I’ve found that when checking the power output the meter seems to drop off completely when holding the ptt for more than around 10 seconds, also the tx led goes out, so any advice on that would be welcomed.

Also there seems to be a slight delay from keying up to the tx light coming on, and also have been told that I’m coming in very quiet even at close range with great signal strength.
The mic is brand new literally less than a week old..
The rig is a TTi TCB550
Antenna is of a unknown make and model and is tuned in well.

I’m looking forward to getting back in to the cb aswell as learning more about it :)
Sharkins
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:03 am

Tommygunn wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:47 pm Hi
Just dug out a cb and mag mount I was given a few years ago and fitted it in my car.
As a teenager I was regularly on the cb during the mid 90s mostly using it as a means to talk with friends prior to mobile phones etc.
Obviously I’m really rusty and have been reading guides on tuning my antenna and checking my power output, then doing it.

I’ve found that when checking the power output the meter seems to drop off completely when holding the ptt for more than around 10 seconds, also the tx led goes out, so any advice on that would be welcomed.

Also there seems to be a slight delay from keying up to the tx light coming on, and also have been told that I’m coming in very quiet even at close range with great signal strength.
The mic is brand new literally less than a week old..
The rig is a TTi TCB550
Antenna is of a unknown make and model and is tuned in well.

I’m looking forward to getting back in to the cb aswell as learning more about it :)
you`re welcome
Post Reply